Satellite communications

Zoleo, it works great thankful I’ve never needed the SOS. But send and receiving message and checking the weather has been flawless. Plus the money you save pays for you’re plan.

Pretty sure you can rent these as well. Might make sense based on how often you plan on needing it.

Used the garmin inreach explorer for years, works well for me. I use the Bluetooth phone app so I just turn on the handset and stash it away. Only pain is messaging other inreach users, have to type their full inreach alias. Some friends have had issues with the inreach mini’s sending and receiving messages.

For the last 10 years I've been carrying a PLB which is only good for SOS but I'm fine with that.
I'm packing for a trip to Alaska and for the life of me I can't find it anywhere. Very frustrated but then I remembered that my iPhone 14 that I just bought has satellite SOS so now I'm good. It also has a compass, it's amazing how phones replace so many pieces of gear and gadgets.
I still want to find it but if I can't I won't be replacing it.
I can only see buying an inReach or something similar if I ever plan on a bush plane drop hunt where I would need to be in communication with the pilot.

I have a dirt old InReach (back when it was still Delorme) and I have had zero issues with it. I have taken it hunting/hiking all over Colorado and even climbed Denali with it this past spring. I don't have enough good things to say about my InReach.

I purchased and used the Garmin Inreach Mini 2 last year in Colorado. As mentioned above, easy to connect to phone through Bluetooth and text message using the app. Battery life was good. Plan to use again this September.

I have a dirt old InReach (back when it was still Delorme) and I have had zero issues with it. I have taken it hunting/hiking all over Colorado and even climbed Denali with it this past spring. I don't have enough good things to say about my InReach.
Me too! I've been using mine for over a decade up here in Alaska with zero problems.
Since I am solo most days, it is with me hiking, canoeing, cross-country skiing, hunting.
Things I like about it:
1) Low monthly subscription fee of $12
2) Long battery life. I use mine every night to send a preset message "back in camp" for 2 weeks and over 85% battery left
after 2 weeks.
3) Occasionally I set it up so my wife can see my location every 4 hours from home.
4) Three Free preset text messages that are easy to send.
5) Texting with my hunting partner via text "boat starter died, need a tow into camp"
6) SOS button

The only negative thing is the Liquid Crystal Display screen will be unreadable if the glass cracks.
I had that happen when I sat on it. Sent it back for repair and after a decade the repair cost was reasonable.

before there was Zoleo I bought an inReach. Used it a week ago to let all the family know I and My father were ok in the Sierra while out of cell coverage. Recharged the unit 2x in 6 days. had to reconnect the blue tooth a few times, but overall was happy with it.

Bought my daughter a Zoleo and it seems to do fine as well. Lower initial cost than the In Reach. Seems to perform the same functions as the inreach.

Inreach mini. Syncs with my phone through Garmin app. I've sent texts from the mountains and 100 miles off the coast of So Cal while fishing. Works fine

I have good luck with the inreach since 2016. The app sucks, but the comms always work. Before that I used a sat phone and a Spot (which sucked badly). Interested in the Zoleo, but not sure it's any better? I like knowing I can still send a message in the inreach if my phone dies, which it has in the past.

Zoleo. Hands down. I owned an inreach mini but it gave me a lot of issues. Zoleo I have had zero issues with. These issues with the inreach have resurfaced with other people and they also switched to zoleo. Just my opinion though. But either one is worth every penny in my opinion. Happy wife makes for longer hunts and more often.
@Dsnow9
What issues with the mini? I have one and not many issues overall.

The inreach just seemed to be a lot more sluggish and the inreach to Zoleo we had some issues with. It very well could have been user error but the zoleo has been amazing. The app interface is more streamlined in my opinion.

And if your phone dies you can still send a “check in” with way point and sos so you’re not completely sol.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back