MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Satellite communications

Chuckchapman1

I’m hopefully going on my first archery solo elk hunt in Wyoming and I’m curious what everyone is using for an Oh Sh!+ plan. SOS button communication type of thing. I’m not really interested in buying an expensive thing but realize it might be a necessary investment.

Zoleo. Hands down. I owned an inreach mini but it gave me a lot of issues. Zoleo I have had zero issues with. These issues with the inreach have resurfaced with other people and they also switched to zoleo. Just my opinion though. But either one is worth every penny in my opinion. Happy wife makes for longer hunts and more often.

Hmm, I have the large inReach and it is a PITA. Brutal to type with and for whatever reason it seems my wifes number is the only one it won't send a text to. I was thinking of just getting a mini as I hear they are better, but may have to look in this Zoleo you speak of..

Zoleo. Hands down. I owned an inreach mini but it gave me a lot of issues. Zoleo I have had zero issues with. These issues with the inreach have resurfaced with other people and they also switched to zoleo. Just my opinion though. But either one is worth every penny in my opinion. Happy wife makes for longer hunts and more often.
Zero issues with my InReach mini…

Zoleo. Hands down. I owned an inreach mini but it gave me a lot of issues. Zoleo I have had zero issues with. These issues with the inreach have resurfaced with other people and they also switched to zoleo. Just my opinion though.
That’s great. I know a lot of guys that haven’t had issues. The issues arose when needing to text a new person from the field or trying to someone with a different type of satellite device. Something about the bouncing between service and no service. The Zoleo all goes through one app so the transition from service to no service is seamless. Zoleo also seemed to be much quicker when trying to get ahold of someone in our hunting party.

I haven’t had any issues with my inreach. It has a blue tooth feature that lets you pair it with your phone. Then you can send and receive texts with the phone. It’s really easy.

I haven’t had any issues with my inreach. It has a blue tooth feature that lets you pair it with your phone. Then you can send and receive texts with the phone. It’s really easy.
And if your phone dies you can still use the mini to communicate. It’s a little clumsy without the phone, sure. But it works.

I’ve used one for about six years and never had a problem. Will probably update to the 2.0 with its extra long battery life this year.

Both Zoleo and Garmin use the same satellite network (Iridium), so there shouldn’t be any difference in connectivity between the two.

OP - search for an article titled “the Five Best Satellite Messengers of 2023” on Outdoor Gear Lab for more detailed side by side comparison of your options. I can only afford to test one of these things at a time and what works for one person might not be ideal for another.

Inreach explorer. Only issue I’ve encountered is about the second year, the charging port became VERY finicky

You might have forgotten a couple issues, there's the problem with not being able to add a new contact unless you are on the desktop app and establish a thread, confusion with contacts over how to reply related to the established thread thing, duplicate messages, delayed/slow messaging, can't use preset messages through the Earthmate app on phone. I'm curious about zoleo now, might be worth looking into with all the charging issues lately.

You might have forgotten a couple issues
Haha. Yeah I did. Actually the multiple message thing never happened too many times to me and it wasn’t really as crucial with the unlimited subscription. Had it so long, just forgot about the others. Kind of odd in this day of tech, that companies struggle to remedy things like that

Haha. Yeah I did. Actually the multiple message thing never happened too many times to me and it wasn’t really as crucial with the unlimited subscription. Had it so long, just forgot about the others. Kind of odd in this day of tech, that companies struggle to remedy things like that
Yeah the duplicate messages happened to me with one of the limited plans that charges per message, coincidence maybe.

I had a Garmin Inreach 66i the big ole thing… it was complete garbage. Worst user interface, worked intermittently, download one app to connect it to your phone then download another app to use with your phone, expensive… garbage. My brother had the mini and although better it was still terrible, my Dad has the 66i and it’s garbage too. I switched to the Zoleo last year and cannot get over how much of an improvement it is, set it and forget it.

I went with the Zoleo for the upfront cost as well as the plans that you need. Just picked it up after running into a G bear last fall and not having any service it could of turn out bad.

Zoleo users: does it have the same SOS functionality as Garmin units and if so, can I get some feedback from anyone who has activated the SOS? I'm a current 700i montana user and have been waiting for something alternative to switch to.

All I use mine for is SOS, let my wife know I am ok with preset message (when needed), or let her/somebody know if I need non emergency help. So with those options it rarely gets used at all. Zero texting/casual conversation use.

Having all of that setup before you leave is easy, not sure about all the other “issues” mentioned above as my inreach has not faltered on those.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back