Sarah's turn.

twodot

Today was a good day. It was cold and heavy frost and as soon as the sun got up the deer were moving. My best ever hunting pard informed me that there were several deer moving on the hillside west of the house and she wanted to give them a try. Cool let's do it! Half an hour later we were dressed ready and heading up the ridge that we hoped would take us to where they were heading. A slow, slippery, sneak up the hill left us empty handed. Ok lets just look around in some of these timbered low spots. First hole we looked in we bust the buck and two doe up out of. She held off making a hurried shot hoping that these deer were not too spooked. We let them go out of sight and quickly decided on a route that would hopefully take us into a position for another look. A few minutes later we spotted a doe way up from us in a patch of brush. A little searching with the bino's showed a buck just above them. Looks like a pretty long shot, but she has her rifle in the sticks and says it feels good. Let it happen then. I hear a nice "plunk" after the shot and am pretty sure of a hit. Buck is out of sight. Well let's go look for some blood. On the way up the hill, we see another buck one ridge over from us. Is that him? She has him in the scope and says he sure looks like the one. No don't shoot, he ain't going too far, we better go check out the site of the shot. Whew!! Got on up the hill to where the buck had been when she shot and found blood strung out all over the place. About 40 yards past the first blood was her buck. Total smackdown. Shot was right behind the shoulder quartering forward and out low on the neck on the other side. After 26 years of whitetail, Sarah was tagging her first Mule deer. I am, to say the least, pretty darn pleased with the morning's hunt. We walked back down to the house and got the boys and dragging gear since she wanted to bring this one out whole. A great day! Photos are: Sarah and her buck , Sarah and I, and us heading for the road. (you can see it in the bottom)

Attachments

• IMG_8555.jpg
    IMG_8555.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_8573.jpg
    IMG_8573.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_8576.jpg
    IMG_8576.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:
That's awesome.
You guys are living the life up there, very jealous.

Great looking mulie. You're blessed to have a wife who enjoys hunting. Congrats to both of you!

Thanks everyone. Sarah and I have had some great times in the field over the years. Mostly whitetails and coon hunting. Being out here and using a rifle with long range capability is a whole new game for her. We come from archery and slug-gun country but for the most part we have used muzzle-loaders and bows for years. To be able to actually spot and stalk game has been something that we have wanted to do for a long time, and the lay of the ground around here is perfect for it. Was a really good morning.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back