PEAX Equipment

Sandhill Cranes

pointingdogsrule

So Sandhill cranes are on my bucketlist. Not sure I can do it alone and would like advice on your experiences in different states. I am in Iowa so the Dakotas or Kansas would be options. Possibly Texas or Oklahoma if it was worth the trip. I realize that some states are draw only. Thanks in advance.

good luck to all
the dog

I am in the same boat. Wisconsin is filthy with them now and still no hunt for them.

North Dakota is also excellent. They stage pretty much along the canadian line from central ND to Mt through the end of October now days and slowly filter south. They love sheet water only 6 to 12 inches deep. It was amazing watching them on a stretch of refuge where they were stacked in and the management decided to start flooding the area they were roosting in for reasons only they know, as the level went up the cranes moved on to another shallow area farther away. My personal belief is a sandhill crane is one of the hardest migratory bird to hunt, which makes them all the better to hunt. Good luck

I found out this morning that I drew Wyoming area 003-1 for sandhill crane.

I believe that area 7 in Wyoming is a general tag.

I found out this morning that I drew Wyoming area 003-1 for sandhill crane.

I believe that area 7 in Wyoming is a general tag.

Speaking out of ignorance as Sandhills are free game up here but you have to "draw" for a license? How many birds can you shoot?

Texas crane permits are free I believe and they have MANY cranes down there. You can set up ma crane hunt with a goose hunt, panhandle area or the coast.

Texas crane permits are free I believe and they have MANY cranes down there. You can set up ma crane hunt with a goose hunt, panhandle area or the coast.

Yep, I saw that in the panhandle. $250 per day for 6 cranes and all included. I thought about it, however, by the time I add in airfare to Amarillo it gets a little pricey. They look like great hunts.

good luck to all
the dog

Also vote for NW North Dakota. No additional permits necessarily, just the regular license for birds. No drawing required, three birds per day. More birds than Montana so the hunting pressure is better distributed. I think they are great eating. Kind of beef like, very mild flavor.

There is a crane permit required for ND, price is around 5 bucks maybe 3, just had crane for supper tonight, been hoarding the final holdouts in the freezer.

I think its around $30 for non-residents, on top of small game or waterfowl license that are also required to hunt cranes in ND.

If you're looking to save some money in gas and licensing, Northwest MN has a decent amount of cranes, but if you're going that far you might as well just cough up a little extra money and go to ND where its going to be a lot better.

Last edited:
I traveled through North Texas last December and the place was lousy with Sandhill cranes. I actually pulled over to hear them, they always sound like they're right on top of you no matter how far out they are. Good luck in your decision.

This will be my second year drawing the tags here in MT. I learned a lot my first year, here are some thoughts:
1. In MT, there are very few who chase them, so I wouldn't get to spun up on pressure. In the Pacific flyway, you have to draw for a tag; in the Central you can get an OTC permit.
2. Know that there are 2 subspecies that are hunted: lesser and greater. This probably only matters on the size of bird you might want to put on the wall.
3. Both of mine were pass shot over feeding areas I scouted. This seems to be the most effective route. There are plenty of DIY decoy and strategies for them out there if you google it.
4. BB's with Full choke.
5. I bought a call, and used it without dekes. Seemed to pull some in lower to an area they were already on their way.
6. The red meat breast is different than waterfowl. Very good. Don't overcook it.
7. Prep a swatter shot, those beaks can be gnarly if crippled.
8. Find a great waterfowl taxidermist. I called countless places around this area, and only one 300 miles away had done one before.

I would vote save up for TX guided (preferably over stuffers). I moved to CO from the Panhandle and they really are downright thick from Lubbock northward and eastward. Hard as all get out to decoy. You will get in birds in TX if you go guided though,

~Mason

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back