Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Sandhill crane hunt proposal

Oak

Expert
As some of you may know, Colorado Parks and Wildlife is currently proposing a new sandhill crane hunting season in northwestern Colorado to hunt the Rocky Mountain Population (RMP) of sandhills. We currently have a season in the eastern half of the state to hunt the Mid-Continent Population. Story Here

Of the 7 states encompassing the RMP, Colorado is the only state that does not have a hunting season. Therefore, our harvest quota is re-distributed among the other 6 states by the FWS.

In response to this proposed hunting season, the non-hunting portion of the birding community is mobilizing their ranks to vigorously oppose this hunt. If you support the idea of this new opportunity for hunters in the western half of the state, please take the time to write a quick email of support to the Wildlife Commission. Please address it "regarding" the sandhill crane hunting proposal they will be hearing at the May 10 meeting.

Wildlife Commission email addresses:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

I am a member of a birding email list and began receiving many emails in opposition of this proposed hunt. In an effort to provide factual information to counter the emotional responses and inaccurate claims being made on the email list, I sent out the following email. This will provide you some information about how this population is managed:

I think it is important for everyone to be aware of some facts regarding the Rocky Mountain population (RMP) of Sandhill Cranes, and the current structure of hunting seasons for that population.

The population objective set by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) for the RMP is 17,000-21,000 cranes, as noted in the RMP Cooperative Flyway Management Plan (2007). That plan contains a formula for estimating annual allowable harvest of cranes throughout the RMP range, while keeping the overall population within the set population objective.

The RMP population estimate is established from September pre-migration counts conducted at staging areas throughout the five northern states encompassing the RMP. Those pre-migration counts have resulted in counts within or above the population objective every year except one between 1997 and 2010. The counts during the most recent 5 years have been above 20,000 each year.

Cranes are currently hunted in all states within the RMP range except Colorado (New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho). The allowable harvest quota for the RMP is split among all states in the RMP region with a crane season. Individual states issue hunting permits to Sandhill Crane hunters, which provides a sampling frame for harvest estimates and allows for assignment of harvest quotas by state. Colorado's harvest quota is currently re-allocated among the other 6 states where hunting occurs. The harvest quota throughout the RMP for the 2010-2011 hunting season was 1,970. Ultimately, 1,336 cranes were harvested.

Opening a hunting season in northwestern Colorado will not result additional harvest of Sandhill Cranes. The FWS will simply return Colorado's harvest allocation, which will in turn be managed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW). A crane season will create additional opportunity for Colorado hunters, as well as an additional source of revenue for CPW through hunting permit sales and matching Pittman-Robertson funds.

While it is sometimes difficult to see birds that we love to watch be hunted, I think it is important to remain objective when commenting on proposals such as this. There is no biological reason to oppose the new season, the season will not result in additional crane harvest, the season will provide additional opportunity for Colorado hunters and it will provide additional revenue for CPW.

I have enjoyed using your crane tags. Are you sure you want them back?
I went on my first crane hunt just to check the species off of my bucket list. It turned out to be some of the best meat that I have ever eaten. Hunting them offers a unique challenge that I look forward to every year.
In all honesty, I do hope you can get through the process of starting this hunt. I just wish they didn't have to take tags from my area to do it.

Attachments

• sandhillCranes001 (640x427).jpg
    sandhillCranes001 (640x427).jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 644
  • SandhillCranes005 (800x554) (2).jpg
    SandhillCranes005 (800x554) (2).jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 690
They look huge. Are they different from geese to hunt? ardrhi, glad you bought up the tastiness aspect, that was my first question.

An email I received this morning:

Please help me objectively understand “government logic” because to me it is both ambiguous and oxymoronic (similar to “military intelligence”). Personally, I don’t think hunters need another opportunity (Sandhill Cranes) for target practice because the list below should keep them busy enough, eh? Or do hunters just need larger/easier targets than doves, snipe and rail species? Also, I don’t get the argument for an “additional source of revenue for Colorado Parks and Wildlife” as being a justifiable justification for more cold-blooded slaughter. We seem to be caught up in a never-ending train wreck toward the complete annihilation of wildlife for the purposes of entertainment and/or of saving introduced species like us and our cows, e.g., I don’t foresee the following list ever growing shorter, just longer.

SANDHILL CRANES on the list too? Ja shore, open season on cranes, but with new rules! Since our culture is so much into entertainment let us require the Almighty Crane Hunter to win a mud wrestling match with The Crane *AND* the crane must be caught without the use of motorized conveyance! THAT would be entertaining. tisk tisk

Larry

PRONGHORN (three seasons, using different weapons, but why not add a fourth season to accommodate the use of automatic assault weapons?)
DEER (same as Pronghorn)
ELK
BIGHORN SHEEP
MTN GOAT
MOOSE
BEAR
MTN LION
BLACK-TAILED PRAIRIE DOG
COYOTE
MARMOT
BEAVER
RABBITS/HARES
FOX
PINE SQUIRREL
BADGER
RED FOX
RACOON
STRIPED SKUNK
MUSKRAT
ABERT'S SQUIRREL
BOBCAT
SAGE GROUSE
BAND-TAILED PIGEON
FALL TURKEY
DOVE SPECIES
SORA
VIRGINIA RAIL
SNIPE
DUSKY GROUSE
CHUKAR
PTARMIGAN
CROW
DUCKS & GEESE
PHEASANT
QUAIL SPECIES
SPRING TURKEY

(the above list could be incomplete if it changes annually because I haven’t looked recently)

If the guy only sees the list(of species hunted) growing longer you would think he knows , oh never mind hard to educate some folks.But its worth it as last year was the first year of dove hunting in Iowa and I thought it was great.Thanks for your efforts Terry.

Finally! Cant stand hunting on the Western Slope and having to watch em fly by! This has been too long in coming!

Some from the Eastern Slope

Attachments

• Sandhills 003.jpg
    Sandhills 003.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 628
Science>emotion.

Unless you add a 'tisk tisk' at the end. Tisk tisk--as we all know--beats rock, scissors, paper and science. Ja shore. Tisk tisk may even trump FACT, though I wouldn't use it on MM. :cool:

Looks like poor Larry has a reading deficiency and missed all of the portions about numbers being at or above objective and that a season in Western CO 'will not result additional harvest of Sandhill Cranes.' Or Larry just jumped to the last line in the email because it is the only one he can debate. By 'debate' I don't mean using facts to discuss opposing viewpoints. I mean the new definition where pejoratives like 'cold-blooded slaughter' rule the roost.

Oak, good luck on getting this pushed through. I'll send an email to those commissioners but it won't be nearly as eloquent as yours.

p.s. I smell a tv bonanza in the mud wrestling match up of SHC v ACH!

#woke up cranky and it hasn't burned off yet

Last edited:
Oak, feel free to forward my letter to Larry.

Dear Larry:

At your request to help you objectively understand, I first would ask where your objectivity is when you preface everything with “Personally” implying your mind is already made up by personal opinion. But, I will give a try.

Thanks for listing those species. You are missing many that hunters, anglers, and trappers restored with their self-imposed excise taxes and license fees, and from the results of their contributions of time and effort for conservation purposes. Your bird watching binos and cameras have not funded ONE PENNY toward this conservation recovery. Your bird watching activity will never fund these species, yet you continue to benefit from those whom you are most critical.

When given a chance to help fund this conservation effort, the makers of those binoculars, cameras, backpacks, etc. that you use for your birding efforts, successfully lobbied Congress to keep them out of the funding equatioin, forcing hunters and anglers to continue funding all that you enjoy as a bird watcher. Thanks for nothing.

Your comment of “a never ending train wreck toward complete annihilations of wildlife” would apply to the greater society, but not to hunters and anglers. Hunters and anglers have recovered and restored most the species you put on that list, while the larger segment of society locked down their wallets while enjoying the benefits provided by hunters and anglers. Hunters and anglers continue to provide the funding, advocacy, and volunteer work that keeps these species plentiful. Completely objective. If you struggle to believe that, quick Google searches will provide you the evidence you need.

Seems you find hunting as “cold blooded slaughter.” When the butcher kills the chicken or cow that you eat, is that “warm blooded slaughter?” Or, is the meat you eat not killed, or as you call it, "slaughtered?" Is the way you do it in some way more proper, because someone did the killing for you?

Let me guess, you are now going to say you don’t eat meat. Fine.

How do you account for the millions of animals killed by insecticides, mechanical harvest techniques, and the water supplies made unliveable for many fish,amphibians, and aquatic species, due to run off of agricultural byproducts?

What of the millions more displaced to permanent death while their former habitat is burned, plowed, and planted to put rice and beans on your plate?

What of the millions of acres of habitat impacted to procure the fossil fuels needed for fertilizer, planting, harvest, processing, and delivery of your beans and rice?

What of the displaced wildlife that dies as someone provides the natural gas or electricity that will provide heat to cook your soy burger?

Do those not count, for the mere fact that you have chosen to be multiple steps removed from the deaths caused by your need for food?

Your hands are full of blood, you just refuse to acknowledge such. That is an objective perspective.

I choose to hunt, as I want to know where my food comes from. Blood is spilled for any of us to eat, including you and me. I just happen to be one who takes responsibility for the blood that puts food in my mouth and tries to put something back from which I was so blessed to recieve food.

You can choose to hire others to do the very difficult task of "slaughter" for you. It makes you no better than those who you UNOBJECTIVELY criticize. If anything, your denial allows you to continue in your fairy tale existence, thinking your hands are free of blood, therefore giving you comfort in doing nothing for the future benefit of wildlife and their habitat.

Feel free to continue with your fantasy view that you are somehow the only living organism to ever inhabitat the earth without your existence causing death to other planetary cohabitants. You would be the first in history of time.

Feel free to think your life is without impact to wildlife and habitat, thereby allowing you to sit on your wallet and not fund one dime toward the wildlife you claim to cherish. Your hypocrisy is hard to fathom and eliminates much likelihood of an objective discussion.

I look forward to eating a crane this year. It will save a couple chickens and fund more wetlands for you to enjoy.

They look huge. Are they different from geese to hunt? ardrhi, glad you bought up the tastiness aspect, that was my first question.

It is possible to hunt cranes with decoys and calls, but they usually roost within view of their feeding areas. You have to figure out a way to set up without being seen or heard by roosting birds. They will come in to pretty unconvincing decoys, but they are unbelievable good at detecting hiding hunters. I have had them come in to a turkey decoy that I put atop a 3 foot stake.

My favorite way to hunt them is to use dry canals for spot and stalk.

Unlike so many other species, a lot of landowners seem excited to have crane hunters.

The term flyin' rib eye is also used in Idaho to describe the phenomenal table qualities of the bird. You can literally fillet the breasts and grill them like steaks.

Last edited:
Sandhill crane are all dark meat. They can be prepared like a tri tip steak. Very good eating IMHO. I have taken many in TX. MTG

All I can say is good luck with that....and you are talking about a population that has been hunted for years!
Come to Tennessee....where a flock is over populating and destroying Wildlife Refuges meant for other waterfowl....Field Bioligist have been recommending a hunt for at least five years...Wildlife Commission proposed a very limited hunt with tags and draws...Crane
Fed, Orthilogical Society, Audubon Society, AR's, Cherokee Nation-East came out of woodwork....Political appointed Commission tabled the motion for two years further study...
BTW, they are excellent eating....killed mine in SK.....five a year on three occassions...

All I can say is good luck with that....and you are talking about a population that has been hunted for years!
Come to Tennessee....where a flock is over populating and destroying Wildlife Refuges meant for other waterfowl....Field Bioligist have been recommending a hunt for at least five years...Wildlife Commission proposed a very limited hunt with tags and draws...Crane
Fed, Orthilogical Society, Audubon Society, AR's, Cherokee Nation-East came out of woodwork....Political appointed Commission tabled the motion for two years further study...
BTW, they are excellent eating....killed mine in SK.....five a year on three occassions...

DON'T give up. Iowa finally got a DOVE season approved last year. I think that we were the last state in the union without a dove season.

good luck to all
the dog

Ya, I'd send him Big Fin's letter. I love how it ends.
I look forward to eating a crane this year. It will save a couple chickens and fund more wetlands for you to enjoy.
:D:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back