Sage Grouse

jlmatthew

How long is the sage grouse season for the folks that have one? The area I hunt has just had the season cut down to just two days!

Are they really in that bad of shape population wise?

In the area you hunt there has been a decline in lek count numbers in recent years. That area is also the closest place to hunt sage-grouse for those from the Front Range, so it gets a lot of pressure.

Remember that they also reduced the possession limit to two birds, so if you limit the first day, you need to eat them before hunting the second day.

We don't even have a season around here. The DOW puts collars on them and follows them around.

SAGR1.jpg

Montana Season

———— Sage Grouse Season ————
Means of taking: Sage Grouse may be taken with a shotgun not larger
than a ten gauge; a long recurve or compound bow and arrow. All other
means of taking are prohibited.

Sage Grouse - (Closed West of the Continental Divide)
Season Dates: Sep 01 - Nov 01
Bag Limit: 2 daily. Possession limit is two times the daily bag limit.

Nemont - I practically froze when I read your last post. I have been popping grouse with .22 pistol and rifle for the longest of time. Thankfully Mtn Grouse allow for such. Good to know about sage though. Not really many in the NW MT area (least my stomping grounds).

Whew! I'll remember this when out Eastern /Dllon area. Never would have thought different for grouse species.

Oak,
You live in the Gunny? I havent been Sage Grouse hunting in North Park since 2003 and man there were birds everywhere then. I'm just giving up the Teal opener for a buddy who has never shot a Sage Grouse before. Hope they're still in the places I found them before.

Now if I can get into the Blue's this weekend... :hump:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back