Yeti GOBOX Collection

Sage Grouse tips

Yotkilr

A buddy and I will be heading west of Fort Peck, MT north side of the lake to see if we cant each get a sage grouse. We will be going the weekend of the 8th. Neither of us have hunted them before only seen them last year while deer hunting. Its mostly just wide open sage country as far as you can see over there and was wondering if there was any kind of strategy to finding them. Do they hang out near water anytime of day, in any different kind of cover or fly around certain times of day? Or just start walking and hope we come across some? Don't know anything about them other then they look pretty cool. We will have a bird dog with if it makes a difference. Not sure how the population is out that way but we are not looking to limit out or nothing would just each like to get a nice one to possibly mount. Thanks for any help, Shayne

The trouble with getting a sage grouse to mount is that the season is so early and short they are full of pin feathers. Might be difficult to get a good wall hanger.

The population is about as good as your going to find for sage grouse - better than a lot of places, but not without it's problems. I killed my first and likely only sage grouse last year. They are a cool bird, and I guess for me one was enough. I don't begrudge anyone else for wanting to have the experience though. With it being so hot and dry, they will usually be "close" to water. Look for greener areas in creek bottoms or below stock dams and start there. The dog should be able to tell you pretty quickly whether they've been around or not.

Look for good, big sagebrush for them to hide under and be prepared to put on a lot of miles. I've found them as Hunting Wife describes above, but I've shot them in the open sage flats midday as well. Those birds use a lot of ground, so carry a lot of water for you & the dog. Fun bird to hunt, wish we cared enough about them as a nation to do what's necessary to help them rebound.

Sometimes you can spot them and be ready, but often times they flush far out. Be ready for long shots.

Getting a bird for the wall will be tough. Its not the same, bit you can order one off ebay for less than it costs to mount. Just saying....

The trouble with getting a sage grouse to mount is that the season is so early and short they are full of pin feathers. Might be difficult to get a good wall hanger.

The population is about as good as your going to find for sage grouse - better than a lot of places, but not without it's problems. I killed my first and likely only sage grouse last year. They are a cool bird, and I guess for me one was enough. I don't begrudge anyone else for wanting to have the experience though. With it being so hot and dry, they will usually be "close" to water. Look for greener areas in creek bottoms or below stock dams and start there. The dog should be able to tell you pretty quickly whether they've been around or not.

Hunting wife.....i assume you cooked It? If so....how did it taste? Sounds like you're not interested in hunting them any longer. Why is that?

Hunting wife.....i assume you cooked It? If so....how did it taste? Sounds like you're not interested in hunting them any longer. Why is that?

I just had the one so it went on the grill with some steaks, just to see what the natural flavor was. Kind of sage-y, but it was a hatch year so probably milder than many.

I personally don’t feel the need to hunt them again simply because they aren’t doing that well. We can’t find them anymore in places my husband grew up hunting them. I just figure I took my one and I’ll leave the rest alone.

I just had the one so it went on the grill with some steaks, just to see what the natural flavor was. Kind of sage-y, but it was a hatch year so probably milder than many.

I personally don’t feel the need to hunt them again simply because they aren’t doing that well. We can’t find them anymore in places my husband grew up hunting them. I just figure I took my one and I’ll leave the rest alone.

How did it compare to a sharpy?

A buddy and I will be heading west of Fort Peck, MT north side of the lake to see if we cant each get a sage grouse. We will be going the weekend of the 8th. Neither of us have hunted them before only seen them last year while deer hunting. Its mostly just wide open sage country as far as you can see over there and was wondering if there was any kind of strategy to finding them. Do they hang out near water anytime of day, in any different kind of cover or fly around certain times of day? Or just start walking and hope we come across some? Don't know anything about them other then they look pretty cool. We will have a bird dog with if it makes a difference. Not sure how the population is out that way but we are not looking to limit out or nothing would just each like to get a nice one to possibly mount. Thanks for any help, Shayne

Areas:

- Plateaus - Plateaus offer an easy escape from predators.

- Edge of rolling hills - Like Plateaus these offer an easy escape from predators

- In the middle of a flat - This allows the sage grouse to see anything coming after it.

- Serendipity - There are times you step out of the truck and the dog is on a point before you get the gun out. There are times you hike many miles before a point. They are nomads living in a buffet of sage brush.

Water

- You can find them around it or not around it. They do not need it, but can be around it.

Flying

- I really only see them flying when flushed. If you are glassing in the morning or evening, you are more prone to see them walking than flying.

- They are slow, extremely slow. If you lead them like a pheasant, then you will be way out in front of them.

- Take your time, nothing is worse than driving an hour and limiting out in 5 minutes. You can flush a group and shoot a male. Then mark where they go and go out and shoot another male.

Cover

- Low to Medium Sage - I have found them in ankle high black sage to about knee high regular sage. I have never found them in the sage trees (Human sized sage brush). They can be completely invisible in ankle high sage, which is surprising given their size.

Dog

- Pointing - It is a great bird for a pointing dog, because if they are not pressured they hold pretty well. I think it is because a lot of times Coyotes and Badgers will walk right past them without seeing them. They are invisible in sage brush unless they stick their head up. I would have the wind in your face hunting them. If the wind is at your back your dog may unintentionally flush them by stumbling on them.

- Flushing - The dog has to be close, but it would still be a good bird to get a flushing dog on.

Mounting

- Taxi - It can be done, but the season is way early to get impeccable results

Cooking

- Jalepeno / Green Chili - Kind of the same things that go good with antelope will go good with sage grouse. If you over cook the sage chicken, you will have a bad time. Medium Rare is the ticket.

One of my favorite birds. I've had good look finding them near water. Not so much live streams, but stock tanks (dirt and metal). For eating, I like them pan fried. Reminds me a bit like beef liver.

I was hoping to get my dog on some this year, but does not look like that's going to happen. :( Next year if I can time it right with a pronghorn hunt I'll try to make it happen.

Awesome thanks everyone for the advice! We are excited to get out and try something we haven't hunted before. Never thought about it being early for them may not have great mounts if we want one. Good news on that my dad is a taxidermist so won't cost us anything to try one and see how it goes.
Thanks, Shayne

If you don't want rubberized sagebrush tasting sage grouse. As soon as you shoot and can get to them GUT THEM! Even then you're behind the curve.
Can soak in milk to help with the sage brush taste, too.
The young of the year are better for taste than the older adults.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back