Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Sage grouse tags...?

1_pointer

Well, I was lucky enough to draw (first year for application, last two have been first come/first served with a quota) two sage grouse permits for an area of Utah that I've spent considerable time in. I drove some areas I've seen birds within the past week, but didn't see any sitting along the roads, so I headed to an area that burnt about 3 years ago. The rehab efforts have been a screaming success, so I walked about a 1/2 mile loop through the burn with no birds jumped. As I was heading back to the truck I spotted three birds flying off the burn towards a small dirt tank. I eased up near where I'd saw them land when I spied one walking through the brush at about 15yards. My shotgunning skills were up the the sluicing! I walked circles in the brush adjacent to the tank/meadow and finally jumped another bird which I did shoot on the fly. However, I'm not quite sure 10yards was quite far enough as the high brass #6s did quite a number on them. Unfortunately both birds (one was a chick) were females as I was hoping for a boomer to mount. Looks like I'll just have to apply again next year... :rolleyes: :D

Sorry about the poor picture, I forgot the camera and only had my phone.
SAGR2009.jpg

Not wanting to be done by 8:30, I spent the rest of the day looking for cottontails (shot 2) and busting prairie dogs. I don't know how many pd's I killed, but I did run through 100 rounds of ammo. All in all, not too bad a way to spend the day...

Truth be known, the birds never made it home. I processed 'em and left them at the Field Station. I'll be having them for dinner this week while I'm up there working.

Yep! I just love chasing sage grouse. Worse part is being limited to 2/year...especially when they are doing so well in this area. Heck, in two days of work this past week I saw nearly 100!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back