Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Saddle hunting??? Talk me into it.

bigbuck247

Recently got a new piece of land to whitetail hunt next to our normal hunting area. 80 acres that are fairly wooded with some good travel corridors running through it. Normally we use ladder stands but I dont want to hang a bunch of ladder stands atleast until we find out where and how they are moving this year on that property. Not a huge fan of hang on stands so I thought possibly about a saddle setup to add to the mix. Also any recommendations on specifics are greatly appreciated. Looking at the hawk helium sticks for sure and possibly their saddle just to start a little cheaper to see if I like it before dropping tetherd kind of money.

I would just hang some ladder stands if that is what you're used to. They're not that difficult to put up and move, they're far more comfortable, and it sounds like you've already got some. Get out there and cut some shooting lanes and access trails to the stands are you're good.
Saddle hunting is an unnecessary reinvention of the wheel, if you ask me.

I’m moving out west so I sold all my whitetail stuff but I got into saddle hunting and got into it hard. I could hunt from sunrise to sunset in them. We used to hunt really thick stuff so it’s real easy to slip in without a climber on your back. Also everything was easier to carry. The biggest advantage I found was when deer look up they look right through you with a saddle.

If you like the ability to be in a different tree throughout the season, but hate carrying around a big clunky climber/hang on, try out a saddle.
It's also nice that the only limitation on a tree is the size.
Last year I spent probably 15 days in a saddle (a cheap diy at that) and felt more comfortable than in a ladder or hang on. There is definitely a learning curve. I'd recommend getting your set up dialed in before season is in full swing. Don't expect to be climbing too far up for the first several hunts... at least I didn't. As I got more comfortable and trusting in my equipment I began climbing higher

I bought one this past year and used it during archery muzzleloader and gun season. Extremely lite weight which is nice during bow season when temperatures are on the 90's. Quick Easy and quiet to setup, I like my gunslinger climbers but the saddle made things easier in some areas I hunt this year

I keep trying to talk myself into it too. Going in light with a saddle setup has appeal and it would probably benefit me especially in some of the swamp bottoms I hunt. I just can't get past the price, so I fall back on using the climber or hang-on I already have.

I keep trying to talk myself into it too. Going in light with a saddle setup has appeal and it would probably benefit me especially in some of the swamp bottoms I hunt. I just can't get past the price, so I fall back on using the climber or hang-on I already have.
I have a complete set up (minus sticks) for $280

I have a list for the links to where I bought it all, if anyone is interested

Here is the Rope I use for other things such as my line man's belt.
Some people use thinner diameters, but this one is a good middle ground of not too thick while thick enough to feel safe.

NewDoar Static Climbing Rope 10mm(3/8in) Accessory Cord Equipment 33FT(10M), 66FT(20M) 98FT(30M) Escape Rope Ice Climbing Equipment Fire Rescue Rope https://a.co/d/9JBnyro

My buddy gave me a saddle and the platform. I just need to get the ropes if you don’t mind to share.
I've seen several using the Hunters Safety System rope style tree strap for the tether and also as a lineman's belt with adding an extra carabiner.

What is the most comfortable saddle out there? I've tried two and haven't been impressed enough to buy one yet.
I had a tethred phantom as well, the secret is to keep the bridge as long as possible, it will eliminate hip pinch. Also, a recliner strap, and knee pads will make a all day sit more enjoyable.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back