Yeti GOBOX Collection

Ruined Day (pics)

Wyodeerhunter

Banned
On Sunday I decided to go out looking for some antlers with friends. We parked the truck in a good spot with a bowl that had a lot of brush and cedars in it. From the elk sign right at the truck we figured it would be a great day. To top it off the wind wasn't blowing which would make it a great day no matter what.

Our attitudes quickly changed when we saw four wheeler tracks everywhere. They had drove all through the cedars, out into the sagebrush and all over the ridges. It was amazing to see how much ground they covered. I can't believe how tall the brush can be and they still will drive right over it. We decided to walk it anyhow and I headed up some steep stuff where I figure they couldn't go (I was wrong).

About two hours into my hike I heard a 4 wheeler where I knew there wasn't any roads. I quickly glassed him up and he was driving down every ravine (in an area that just had a fire and was in recovery) and through the healthy sagebrush at the edges of the cedars. I decided to go confront him. The problem was I was a long ways away.

When I finally caught up to him I found out there were two 4 wheelers. One had the guy on it, and the other had his kid (around 6 years old) and his dad. How nice of them to teach such a young kid that its ok to ruin public lands.

I was so pissed off (from the last 5 years of 4 wheelers abuse) I think I would of slashed their tires right there if it wasn't for that kid with them (lucky for them). But instead I chewed them out and told them I was turning them in (what a joke saying that, everyone knows the blm doesn't do anything). I then snapped a couple pics of them offroad. I was so pissed I couldn't work the camera (I've attached the pics).

So i get back to town and call the local blm guy, Chris lockhart (307-350-8917). He played dumb and asked me why people would be doing that. Wow he must really know his job. I explained to him where they were doing it and he said he would head out right away. So I headed back out to meet up with him. But he never showed up. Talking to other ethical shed hunters they said that guy doesn't ever follow up on anything and will just b.s. you that he will. Nice to know that he's enforcing the laws of our public land. I also tried calling him a couple times the next day and left a message but of course he didn't return my calls.

I'm so upset about it because I have pics of them riding offroad, can point out exactly on a map where they were, AND have their license plate numbers. And NOTHING is being done.

Looking back I should of just slashed their tires.....

Heres the pics of the slobs:

Last edited:
Who is Chris Lockhart? I tried him in BLM Lotus Notes and his name didn't come up.

Nesto,
I have had better luck with G&F guys. They seem to have better comprehension of whats at stake. They busted several people on North Mountain for riding atvs past the forest service line. Feel your pain my friend, til this boom is over we will see a bunch of people doing stuff like that.

There are things you can do to an area to make it very user unfriendly to ATV's...

That really sucks when these knuckle heads do this.... :(

I really don't think it's just the boom Scott, It has been happening like Ernesto said for along time. People do it cause one they can get away with it and two cause they are lazy F***K's and can't walk around liek normal people. I agree with you Ernesto i would have slashed there tires or found where they had unloaded and slash there truck tires!

I agree its happened for a long time, but the boom hasn't helped. In all reality it probably won't ever go away. Its plain and simple though, larger population in an area will lead to more people doing recreation there(whether it be legal recreation or not). Your phone dead or something?

That sucks. Did you get plate numbers as well? losers should flip them and break some bones so we can laugh. Sad that the kid will probably be worst than the old man when he gets older

I'm so upset about it because I have pics of them riding offroad, can point out exactly on a map where they were, AND have their license plate numbers. And NOTHING is being done.

That sucks. Did you get plate numbers as well?

Anyone else surprised That Schmalts misses details in drawing applications ??!?!

You'd think you could go over a guys head ? Media ? that would bring attention, no ?

wyo doesnt have them unless they are used on the streets/road but 1% of the people do that. nesto i know just how you feel many places we used to walk its pointless now because someone like this busted trail up there then the next person thinks there is a trail there and now it becomes a road and the place is a mess very quick. i think the boom most deff helps make it happend faster but i still remember talking to you once that even though i dont live there anymore that is still "home". the people that are there for the boom dont look at it that way witch is sad. same thing happened up north. hope you make a big enough stand that those guys get busted.

mtmiller,
His last name is locker (sp?) i typed it wrong this morning.

I honestly believe the people that are willing to drive offroad to look for a frickin' antler have some moral and ethical issues. They are the same guys that will cheat at anything in life and always want the reward without paying for it. These are the same guys that are willing to shoot a deer in the headlights, or maybe before/after the season, they also shoot signs, litter and probably even cheat on their taxes. They are not good people.

I'm sad to say that the majority of the people I seeing abusing the land is local guys who were born and raised there. Somehow they think that because they grew up here that gives them the right to trash "THEIR" public land. It's a shame.

Ernesto

That sucks! There is a place for quads but that is on the roads or in helping you retrieve down big game.

I would agree that most of these people are lazy and they will do what they have to in order to get an advantage on the other guy. Next time pull their stems!

Hate to see honest people getting screwed all the time but that seems to be the American Way.

UPDATE:

Chris finally got ahold of me again and is looking into the issue. I guess people don't like it when you post their personal cell phone number on the internet.

To those of you that helped (you know who you are) thanks!!!!

Ernesto- Kudos to you for taking the time to call these folks in! IMO, its folks like you who will help 'fix' this problem.

PS- If you don't get any movement from the local BLM guy, give the one in Cheyenne a call. That usually gets the locals hopping...

There is a place for quads but that is on the roads or in helping you retrieve down big game.
I only agree with that statement if you are staying on the roads with the quad to retrieve the downed game. IMO, there are very few reasons to ever have a OHV off designated road or trail...

Ernesto- Kudos to you for taking the time to call these folks in! IMO, its folks like you who will help 'fix' this problem.

PS- If you don't get any movement from the local BLM guy, give the one in Cheyenne a call. That usually gets the locals hopping...

I only agree with that statement if you are staying on the roads with the quad to retrieve the downed game. IMO, there are very few reasons to ever have a OHV off designated road or trail...

Geez Tyler, sounds like we do agree on some things.:D

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back