Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Ruger M77 Hawkeye. Are they good?

Mako

I was in an area today where one of my favorite gun stores happens to be and decided to walk in. I've been contemplating getting a gun chambered in 6.5x55 Swede, and lo and behold, they just got two in this week from an older gentlemen that put them on consignment. A CZ 550 with Bavarian stock, and an M77 Hawkeye. Both pristine. The Ruger really caught my eye, but I know very little about these rifles.

Does anyone own one? Are they a good quality rifle. It's selling for $1500, with a vortex scope, diamondback I think. I know these aren't free-floated. Does that matter at all?

If you like the model 70 you’ll like the Ruger, same style action. You’re right, they aren’t free floated but the couple that I’ve had have shot fine for hunting purposes (~an inch). They use that diagonal action screw that pulls the rifle into the stock. There are gun smiths that can bed them if needed.

I wouldn’t hesitate if you like the rifle, it does seem a little high but they may come down some. I sold a 25-06 last year for $1k, the cartridge may be pushing the price up some.

The CZ is probably also a nice rifle, haven’t ever shot anything but their rim fires tho

I thought the price was high as well, but it comes with the scope and 4 or 5 boxes of ammo. I need to check to see what those scopes go for. I know the diamondback isn't vortex's top of the line scope, but I don't think it's their bottom of the barrel scope either, though I could be wrong.

As for the CZ, it was a really nice looking rifle, but the bolt was nowhere near as smooth as the Ruger's, or my Model 70. It sure was a looker. They can't sell it for another ~20 days (something to do with CA laws), and it won't go on display until then, so I have some time to think about it.

I thought the price was high as well, but it comes with the scope and 4 or 5 boxes of ammo. I need to check to see what those scopes go for. I know the diamondback isn't vortex's top of the line scope, but I don't think it's their bottom of the barrel scope either, though I could be wrong.

As for the CZ, it was a really nice looking rifle, but the bolt was nowhere near as smooth as the Ruger's, or my Model 70. It sure was a looker. They can't sell it for another ~20 days (something to do with CA laws), and it won't go on display until then, so I have some time to think about it.
The diamond back (depending on model) is probably retail $150-300. The ammo helps some on the price

I own and shoot both regularly. The M70 is my personal favorite.
I just put 300 rounds through a 77 Hawkeye today. 6.5 cm 26"target barrel . The Hawkeye is absolutely dead nuts accurate with pretty much everything you cycle through it in a particular weight. But the action is disgustingly sloppy, loose, and gritty like a soviet combloc surplus rifle. I bet I could pour a cup of un cooked rice into the receiver of the hawkeye and it would still function, it's that sloppy.
Here's 10 rounds of factory 147 ELDM's fired in rapid succession this afternoon. 20230622_144612.jpg

I have a M77 Hawkeye in 30-06 not the smoothest action but it has a good feel solid but not to heavy and most importantly accurate. But even with that Diamondback that's a bit high IMO. Just bought my mom a 243. M77 Hawkeye in stainless steel with the skeleton composite stock last summer and paid $950 (no scope).

I have a M77 Hawkeye in 30-06 not the smoothest action but it has a good feel solid but not to heavy and most importantly accurate. But even with that Diamondback that's a bit high IMO. Just bought my mom a 243. M77 Hawkeye in stainless steel with the skeleton composite stock last summer and paid $950 (no scope).

The one with the Zytel "boat paddle" stock? Those are classic. Based on what I'm seeing, I think the one I'm looking at is priced a little on the high side. With that scope, I'm thinking $1200 would be more appropriate, $1300 tops. It's a consignment gun, so I might make an offer. That, or I will look into a Tikka. A Scandanavian gun in the Scandavavian caliber seems appropriate.

I own and shoot both regularly. The M70 is my personal favorite.
I just put 300 rounds through a 77 Hawkeye today. 6.5 cm 26"target barrel . The Hawkeye is absolutely dead nuts accurate with pretty much everything you cycle through it in a particular weight. But the action is disgustingly sloppy, loose, and gritty like a soviet combloc surplus rifle. I bet I could pour a cup of un cooked rice into the receiver of the hawkeye and it would still function, it's that sloppy.
Here's 10 rounds of factory 147 ELDM's fired in rapid succession this afternoon. View attachment 280994
Very nice groups. I'm a fan of the Creedmoor. My model 70 is the same caliber/chambering. Very fun round.

The one with the Zytel "boat paddle" stock? Those are classic. Based on what I'm seeing, I think the one I'm looking at is priced a little on the high side. With that scope, I'm thinking $1200 would be more appropriate, $1300 tops. It's a consignment gun, so I might make an offer. That, or I will look into a Tikka. A Scandanavian gun in the Scandavavian caliber seems appropriate.
Yes I love that stock. Being on consignment I bet there's wiggle room. I'm also unfamiliar if that caliber drives up the price I assume yes. Can't go wrong with a Tikka either.

That seems high. I see m77 Hawkeyes on gunbroker quit often and they are right around $1000 give or take. If the scope has been already sent in for the mandatory warranty repair then it may add a few bucks. I'm with Mako, $1200-1300.

That seems high. I see m77 Hawkeyes on gunbroker quit often and they are right around $1000 give or take. If the scope has been already sent in for the mandatory warranty repair then it may add a few bucks. I'm with Mako, $1200-1300.

Based on what I'm learning, I think this might be a Lipsey's "exclusive." Does that affect value any?

Ruger does a lot of distributor exclusives. Some of them are quite collectible.

The big deal about a 6.5x55mm (6.5 Swede) in a Ruger M77 is that it is a hand loader's dream. The 6.5x55mm has a mild MAP of 51,000 psi because there are so many old military guns chambered in it. In a strong bolt action like the M77, you can safely hotrod the 6.5 Swede like no one's business. You will find that most reloading manuals now have two sections for the 6.5 Swede. One for old military rifles, and a hotter one for modern bolt guns.

I used to have a M77 Hawkeye in .280 Rem that I kick myself often for selling. It did everything I asked. I have no rational reason why I sold it.

My m77 Hawkeye will do .75 moa 3 shot groups with a cold barrel and Barnes hand loads. It’s a heavy gun and had the trigger polished. M77s are nice but not 1500 nice. sub 1000 would be reasonable. A tikka t3 superlight is sub 1000 and a way nicer gun to carry.

I have 358win hawkeye. Love it. It is heavy so I wouldn't make it a first choice backcountry. Rifle basix makes a great trigger upgrade and HS precision makes a great stock. $1500 is way too much. 6.5 swede is a great round. Don't tell the needmore fanbois it is has been around since the 1890s.

The M77 action is a great action but heavy. $1500 is way too much, even with the ammo & scope.

I've got 2 M77's and had a Hawkeye. I got rid of the Hawkeye & customed the tang safety & Mkii I have. These make a fantastic base rifle for customization.

"Mandatory warranty repair"???

What the heck are you doing to your scopes??!!
Your not supposed to Hammer nails in with them! ;)

I like the 77 action.
I have 3 of the 77 MKIIs.
257 Roberts, 280 Rem, 25-06.
I'll agree the price is on the high side. Even with scope & Ammo.
IF it were a limited edition, might be a different story.

"Mandatory warranty repair"???

What the heck are you doing to your scopes??!!
Your not supposed to Hammer nails in with them! ;)

I like the 77 action.
I have 3 of the 77 MKIIs.
257 Roberts, 280 Rem, 25-06.
I'll agree the price is on the high side. Even with scope & Ammo.
IF it were a limited edition, might be a different story.
Lol. Just taking my shot at vortex scopes. I mostly shoot luepolds, never problems with them.

Turns out this is indeed a Lipsey's gun. It's an M77 Hawkeye African. It has a high polish blued receiver, barrel, and bolt handle. It has a barrel band front sling mount and express sights. The walnut stock on it is straight grianed, but nice, with the ebony forend cap. Are these any different than Ruger's "regular" African's? I'm gathering the Lipsey's exclusiveness has more to do with the calibers they offered these guns in; 6.5 Swede, .275 Rigby, and other nostalgic calibers.

Turns out this is indeed a Lipsey's gun. It's an M77 Hawkeye African. It has a high polish blued receiver, barrel, and bolt handle. It has a barrel band front sling mount and express sights. The walnut stock on it is straight grianed, but nice, with the ebony forend cap. Are these any different than Ruger's "regular" African's? I'm gathering the Lipsey's exclusiveness has more to do with the calibers they offered these guns in; 6.5 Swede, .275 Rigby, and other nostalgic calibers.
They’re rarer. Only a specific amount made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kgentry
Back