Caribou Gear Tarp

Ruger American Predator, or Savage?

Mthuntinfool

So I have the itch for a new rifle, specifically one chambered in the 6.5 Creedmoor. Budget is restricting my options, and I have narrowed it down to 3 brands/models.

Ruger American Predator

Savage Axis

Savage 11/16 lightweight Hunter.

I have shot a Savage 11/16 once, but have no experience with the other two other than handling them at the store.
Would like to hear everyone's opinions and experiences, be it good,bad or ugly. I know these are the "economy" rifles other than the model 16, but for now it is what I can afford. I would rather spend extra on good glass to top it.:D
Thanks, Tanner

I have knowledge of the Ruger and Savage. I bought my wife (she had never shot a rifle before) a Ruger American in .308 and she can shoot quarter sized groups with it at 100 yards (150 grain Fusions). I liked it so much I sold my Savage 30-06 and bought a Ruger and can shoot 1 inch groups with it at 200 yards (165 grain Fusions). I also have a Savage Axis in 25-06 and it's a great shooter as well (120 grain Federal softpoints). You can't go wrong with either rifle.

Last edited:
I bought a RA 7-08 in 2014. I like it but it did have some problems. The stock is to flexible and would touch the barrel if you used a bipod. The other problem is the magazine which would not work with a full clip. Ruger has sent me a new clip but it still won't feed with more than 2 bullets in it. I heard that they had improved the stock and called them a few weeks ago. They sent me a new stock free of charge and it is more ridgid. I haven't shot it but I've tested it in all different positions on a bipod and I can run a piece of paper all the way up to the action no problem so I think that problem is solved. Even with the old stock it was a good shooter as long as you didn't put pressure to far forward on the stock. It's accounted for 2 elk, 4 antelope and a muley buck.
I had a lot of Cabela's points built up and didn't know how the RA stock problem would ever be worked out so I bought a Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP in September. It came with a Nikon Prostaff BDC scope. I have the Prostaff 5 BDC on my RA so no problem there, I shoot it well. I took the scope off, tightened the bases up and remounted it dead level. That gun is a shooter. With Federal Fusions it's deadly accurate. This year I took 2 antelope and an elk with it, all 300yd shots using a bipod. So far no problems with the magazine. That's my experience with those 2. Whichever you buy check for company rebates. I got $75 off on the Savage.

Hard to beat the Ruger American for the money. But some of my friend bought the Savage and they are well satisfied.
I know that did not help.

Have to agree that the Savage 11/16 is the best of the options you have forwarded. Most upside to that one in the future in terms of parts. I have no experience with the Ruger. The Axis isn't in the same category as its bigger brother. I also think the Axis is rather homely.

If you can get to $500 and change, you should be able to get into a Browning AB3 as well. The Howa can be found for that as can the Weatherby vanguard. All chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Of these, I like the Weatherby VG 2 synthetic because it has a 24" barrel.

As always we are happy to help spend you money.

Jeremy

If it were me i would choose Savage in whichever short action variant you want. Plus you have the option to swap barrels in the future as a DIY project for fairly cheap.

The only experience I had with the Savage Axis was an early model, I was not impressed, but I think they made changes after the early ones, don't get one without the AccuTrigger. I've never shot a Ruger American, but have heard good things about them. As for other Savage rifles, I've shot and own quite a few and they've all been dependable and accurate. The 6.5 Creedmoor - I'm a fan of that cartridge. My opinion; a Savage Weather Warrior or Light Weight Hunter and go hunt.

I have a savage American classic in 7mm-08 and it has been a great gun, love that trigger.

Bought the 6.5 creedmor ruger American predator this past summer and used it for my Wyoming trip and my minnesota and Wisconsin whitetail hunts.... I love it! Great rifle! 1 1/2" group at 400 yards.... pretty impressed e for a factory rifle!

It looks like the rifle manufacturers have learned a lot about making low cost, accurate rifles in the last 30 years. They are not as good-looking as the older ones, but they seem to shoot really well. I may have to get one myself.

Last edited:
I have the Savage Axis 11 in .243. I think it's got a bit better craftsmanship than the RA I've handled. Out off those three though, I think I'd pick the Savage lightweight hunter.

The Savage Axis is an accurate rifle, but the early ones had terrible triggers. I think that they now have the Accu-trigger and are pretty good. I have an RA that I absolutely love. It had to do some fixing such as changing the trigger spring and firming up the stock a bit, but it is a 1/2 moa rifle. I, personally, would pick the Savage Hunter for overall quality.

They will all shoot well, though.

It's the Axis IIs that include the accutrigger. I think they're only available in the package deals though. My friend has one in -06 that shoots great.

To throw in another thought.......I looked at the above choices this year and chose a Mossberg Patriot youth 308.....put a Vortex 4-12 DB AO scope on...total weight with scope 7.25 lbs....short (38) easy to carry, tight groups to 300.

Thanks for the input everyone. I am still leaning towards the lightweight hunter, but some of the rebates for the axis and Ruger are tempting as well. Glad to hear that they fixed the stock issue on the American as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back