Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

ruffed or dusky grouse NV Unit 72 while elk hunting?

broncridingirl

far enough Nor Cal to avoid traffic and people
Does anyone have an experience of hunting (or just seeing) ruffed or dusky grouse while elk hunting in Nevada Unit 72? Specifically in the Jarbridge Wilderness, but also potentially anywhere else in the unit? It seems that the season will be open and might be fun if we happened into any. Is it even worth taking a shotgun? Thanks!

Last edited:
I have seen Ruffed grouse every time we've been to the Jarbidge area but just one or two at a time. They have always been on the very edge of dark timber stands. Not enough to actually go hunting for them though.
There are plenty of Chukars though to chase lower down in the rocky, cliffy stuff and they are much better eating.

th (10).jpg

Last edited:
I too have seen them nearly every time I am in that area. Probably should finish getting your elk then play with the grouse though. I also have toyed with the idea of taking a shotgun as I have a few hunts in that area again but cant seem to justify it until the elk is at the butcher. Good luck no matter what your after up there.

Mostly what others have said, they are there but not really enough to hunt. Although, a few years ago I had a cow tag and hunted the Buck Creek area for a couple of days, north and west of Jarbidge. There were grouse everywhere. That’s unit 71 now that I think about it though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back