Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Rubber boot vs. boot + gaiter

DLaw

This year I plan to hunt whitetails in Pennsylvania. I'll be on state forest land on one of the major ridges in southwest PA. It's a lot of up and down and primarily hardwood forests. I've hunted a minimal amount in the past with others but this year I plan on figuring things out for myself.

I know I need a new pair of boots. In years past I've used my lightweight backpacking boots and my feet were always cold. It was an issue.

I've been doing a little research online and I can't decide what general direction I should go with a new pair of boots...

I see a lot of people here in PA with really tall rubber boots. Obviously those are completely waterproof but what about keeping feet warm? I've never used rubber boots. Also, it seems like thy would be difficult to walk in. The area I plan to hunt will require lots of walking and I won't have a tree stand.

The option that most western hunters seem to use are standard 8" or 10" leather or gore-tex hiking boots. Some people also seem to use these with gaiters.

Which option makes the most sense for November and December PA hardwood deer hunting?

I prefer hiking boots and gaiters over rubber boots and take arctic shield boot insulated covers in with me for sitting idle in the the stand.

Rubber boots are scent free at least from the inside out so whitetail guys like that, but I don't think comfortable rubber boots really exist. Rubber boots can be very insulated, but are like rubber rain gear in that they don't really breath. It pains me to spend $150 on better rubber boots knowing they will never be that good, but most rubber boot guys don't cover ground or understand performance gear.

First, I'd suggest that the only walking you do is to a stand you already have scouted. Still hunting is exercise only and not conducive to venison dinners.

Get some 10" rubber bottom, lace up boots w/ leather uppers, one's with something like 400-800grms of Thinsulate liners. 1st sock layer, thin Poly Pro ( they're cheap). That wicks away moisture. Next layer WOOL, real wool, not a blend. And take your socks when you try on the boots.

They don't have to be LL Bean to work just fine. Mine cost $39 at a local discount store. Roasty & Toasty at -14, in a Ohio tree stand !

Last edited:
Do your feet sweat a lot? How many miles a day are we talking?

IMO, a rubber boot is a bad idea if you are going to be doing any real walking. Your feet will sweat too much and they don't breath.

I think some combination of leather upper boot and gaiter is going to be a better option. Those Arctic Shields seem like a great option too.

For sitting in a stand in cold weather, I have some tall lace-ups like Gunner described above, really heavily insulated. Sitting still, with a couple pairs of warm socks, my feet will stay warm down to single digit temps. Any colder (which is rare here in November/December) and I'll throw some hot-hands down in my boots once I get into the stand.

I would add, I have not had too much trouble killing whitetails on the ground. Of the 7-8 deer I have killed with my ML, only 1 was from a tree stand, the rest were still-hunting. You just need to be sneaky. ;)

I live in NYS and suspect that the PA terrain and NYS, including the Adirondacks is very similar. All I ever wear hunting here are rubber boots! 18" Lacrosse Burly's. I prefer the ones with foam insulation and air bob type soles. They are also available in Thinsulate versions at 800 gram and 1200 gram. The theory being that the 1200 gram is warmer. I find them to be plenty warm and have used them in below zero weather. Of course, nothing is perfect.

The original "chevron" style tread sucks IMHO and I prefer the air bob style. If you prefer, vibram type soles are also available and trendy models in all sorts of camo, if that's your thing. I suggest carrying extra socks that will help with sweating as they won't breathe; however, I have done 10 mile days on snow in the ADKs without any sock change.

When it comes to wet, muddy ground and multiple creek crossings, leather boots can stay home! :)

I live in NYS and suspect that the PA terrain and NYS, including the Adirondacks is very similar. All I ever wear hunting here are rubber boots! 18" Lacrosse Burly's.

There's definitely something appealing about rubber boots. The cost being one. How are yours with lateral stability? If you had to hike 3 miles withe a pack on a rocky trail would they work ok?

First, I'd suggest that the only walking you do is to a stand you already have scouted. Still hunting is exercise only and not conducive to venison dinners.

Get some 10" rubber bottom, lace up boots w/ leather uppers, one's with something like 400-800grms of Thinsulate liners. 1st sock layer, thin Poly Pro ( they're cheap). That wicks away moisture. Next layer WOOL, real wool, not a blend. And take your socks when you try on the boots.

They don't have to be LL Bean to work just fine. Mine cost $39 at a local discount store. Roasty & Toasty at -14, in a Ohio tree stand !

That system definitely seems warm.

I know in my first year I won't have any stand or anything. I will be doing some scouting in the area this summer (I know I'm late already!) but I hope to have a few spots picked out. I'm thinking I'll primarily be standing or sitting near some cover and possibly moving between some spots.

The issue I will have is travel from trailhead to my spots. I know this state forest I'll be in has some pressure and I've heard that the further in you go the less pressure. Plus there's something appealing about hiking in 3-5 miles. This area is one the larger roadless areas in PA. The terrain is too difficult for any type of agriculture area. If you look at Google earth of PA it will be one of the dark green ridges with solid forest cover.

I'm leaning towards the rubber boots for warmth, cost, and waterproof capabilities. I just need to make sure I can walk in them.

First things first, start with some wool socks. I've tried most of them out there and prefer Darn Tough. Lacrosse Burly's are a whitetail staple in the eastern woods because of scent control not for warmth. Although a couple of those chemical hot hands do the trick for me down to th teens then I'm switching out to pack boots. If your under a mile hiking in you should be fine with rubber. Anything over and I'm wearing my hikers with an extra pair of dry socks for when I'm in stand.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back