RMEF Director Focus of Informative Timber Article

hahah...... Trust us...... this time....

At Stoltze, Chuck Roady believes that simply quantifies something he's always tried to respect.

"I won't make excuses for the things that were done in the past – we failed miserably in that,” Roady said. “In the 1950s and '60s, who'd have thought what we were doing was bad? Our grandparents didn't know it was bad when they were skidding logs down the creek. You've got to get back on the horse. We won't make the same mistakes."

For proof, Roady pledged his personal legacy.

"We're not going to do anything to hurt where we live," Roady said. "This is where I hike and hunt and fish. That's why I live here. That's the reason I became a forester. It's aggravating to hear someone else say they're trying to save me from our own stupidity. There is no way I'm going to do something to hurt the place I love."

Yeah, let's roll them environmental regulations back, and Make America Great Again.

Anyone who knows, Chuck, as I do, and has worked with him on conservation projects as I have, knows he is one of the finest people around. He cares about people. He cares about the land.

If you want to mock him with some sort of copy and paste BS, knock yourself out. While doing so, you might not embarrass yourself so much if you do a few more Google searches and see the many conservation projects he has lead, personally and in his professional life, that have nothing to do with logging or timber. From the comments of some, you would never know that he led one of the largest watershed conservation projects in Montana. In doing so, he not only helped protect a critical watershed, also protected was a vast amount of elk habitat for local hunters while keeping access in tact for all public recreation.

If any of you wonder how it is that the Montana Wood Products Industry came out in opposition of the crazy schemes to sell/transfer public lands, you would see Chuck's fingerprints on that decision. If you want to see a guy who volunteers thousands of hours and many times more than that in dollars, on behalf of public access and conservation, you need to look no further than Chuck Roady.

I often enjoy some of your humor, Jose. At times, the satire is on target. Some of it forces me to think from a different angle. In this instance, your default distaste for some activities, and casting stones at the good people (people you probably do not know) who might be in those activities, comes across as arrogant, uniformed, and adolescent.

I would take on the gates of hell with a bucket of ice, if I thought it would help Chuck Roady.

The whole series by Chaney is well worth spending some time reading. It presents all sides of the story in an easy to digest manner.

Bottom line is: Logging in 2016 is much, much different than it was in the 1970's, so is our understanding of silviculture and ecological management. We need more Chuck Roady's in the world.

Fin,

I hope to be proven wrong, this time. But we have seen plenty of "those closest to the land are the best caretakers" statements that my grey hair has caused me to look with a bit of cynicism when the "Whisky and Cigar Hunting Groups" start nominating people for sainthood.

Maybe I just don't appreciate Camo Dress Shirts and Luchesse Boots enough to recognize all the progress made.

Willing to be educated.

The whole series by Chaney is well worth spending some time reading. It presents all sides of the story in an easy to digest manner.

Bottom line is: Logging in 2016 is much, much different than it was in the 1970's, so is our understanding of silviculture and ecological management. We need more Chuck Roady's in the world.

I know one person that was interviewed by Chaney for this series of articles, and quotes of his that were used, were taken way out of context. Just remember, no matter where you get your "news" from, be it Fox News, CNN, NPR, or the Missoulian, there will always be some level of bias in the reporting.

Agree that we need more Chuck Roady's in world.

Stoltz (Chuck) has been good to me as a small time log seller, they treat me very well. I could get more for my logs elsewhere, but I believe in Stoltz, and therefore have always sold and will always sell to them. I do take some heat because most all my family works/worked for what used to be Plum Creek. Stoltz is good for the industry, and good to the hunters we get free use of their land.

oz

I almost went to work for Stoltz back in the 70's when the mill job I had ran out.Decided to head back to carpentering in CA.
Years later when I was getting lumber from Big Creek Lumber in Santa Cruz on their land, I was talking to one of the owners I knew,a family operation.
He spent a half hour telling me and my friend(who runs a small mill himself) about this guy Chuck and his work with mills, theories logging lands & sustainability of both.
Small to large sustainable lumber harvests on private & public lands are doable. And diversity in uses and technology is there.
This was not some greenie speak. And I learned a bunch that day.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back