rifle elk hunting questions

mixedbag

I've always archery hunted for elk and will be heading back to wy. for rifle.What tactics do you guys use in heavily hunted areas for elk.I know where the thick bedding areas are,the water and the food.All the water and food is close to bedding areas.I was thinking of setting up around the bedding areas and waiting them out or to be pushed into them.
Should I consider slowly moving thru these areas or just stay posted up and wait??I'm bringing a friend, so would it be good to have him try and push them out of the bedding for a shot??
any advise will be appreciated,and I'm willing to try it all.I figure glassing large open areas would be a waste in heavily hunted areas,but maybe they will hide in some of those as they are covered in large blowdowns,feed
Let me hear how you guys rifle hunt elk,and whats successful.Its a long trip for me at 2000 miles.We did well in archery just couldn't seal the deal as the shots offered were too iffy to make.I know theres plenty of bulls in this spot,and will take a cow if necessary.I have the any elk general tag
THANKS

Mixedbag,
One of the best pieces of advice I have gotten, this depends on having snow on the ground. Is to find bull tracks and follow them. You can tell if you are on bull tracks by the way they wonder with no sense of a true direction. The cows typically walk in a straight line. Even if the tracks are a day old, at some point there will be a bull at the end of those tracks. Good luck.

If you see hunters sneaking through the trees run just fast enough to stay in front of them. You may scare all of the elk by going too fast but you will have a better chance at one then the other guy...
Really thats the most effective tactic I have been seeing lately.

mixedbag you will do well with a bow hunting background and you will be amazed at how easy it seems after you locate them.

Mixedbag,
One of the best pieces of advice I have gotten, this depends on having snow on the ground. Is to find bull tracks and follow them. You can tell if you are on bull tracks by the way they wonder with no sense of a true direction. The cows typically walk in a straight line. Even if the tracks are a day old, at some point there will be a bull at the end of those tracks. Good luck.

This! :)

Do alot of spot and stalk. If you see other hunters use them to your advantage. They'll water in the dark so you might find them goin to there bedding area. Check your north facing slopes and if there's patches of snow look in there real close. If there is heavy snow they will start going lower in elevation.Good Luck

Yeah, if there is snow, its a no brainer for me... walk Hard until I find a track worth getting on. Getting on a track at least gives you some direction...

If there are any good saddles leading from good feeding areas to good bedding areas, get in them EARLY.. .like be there and positioned so the wind is taking your sent away from the feeding area...by 45 mins before light and settle in... hopefully they wont cross into bed before shooting light.

Definitely use other hunters to your advantage... OR... put on the miles and get away from them.

Good Luck!

Thanks, I'll keep all this in mind and pray for some snow cover.i think they have a little where I'm headed.think I'll hang close to the bedding areas for the 1st morning with all the pressure.Come up with some other plans as things go along.I will remember all the advise though,thanks

Thanks, I'll keep all this in mind and pray for some snow cover.i think they have a little where I'm headed.think I'll hang close to the bedding areas for the 1st morning with all the pressure.Come up with some other plans as things go along.I will remember all the advise though,thanks

I'd go up and over the mountain if it were me ;)

I agree with WVH. Go where the other guys aren't, that's where the elk will be. Be prepared to go into the steep north facing slopes to kick the elk out of their beds. You know, the places where you wish you had a third hand to hold on to the brush. Thats where we find the elk after opening day in Central WA.

you want to go in early to the most awfull,tree infested,bush infested,mud infested,down in a hole hard to reach place you can find,and after you do that,then be rest assured the elk were allready there,and have moved to somewear worse than wear you are,at that moment.
i tell you that because it is true,i do not lie about this subject,and any elk hunter who hunts on public land know i am telling it like it is.
so find the most unforgiving, place in your hunting area and start there,and the odds of finding someone else there is remote,because most true elk hunters know the elk were allready there the day before.:cool:

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mtbirdandbiggamehunter
Back