Return Of The Jaguar to Arizona and New Mexico, your thoughts?

Don't belong here, do they? But here they are.

Preserve and enhance existing habitat for Jaguars. Don't reintroduce them here.

Can do is not should do.

David
NM
Southern Arizona is existing jaguar habitat is it not? If they came naturally would that be different?

Not trying to be argumentative just fleshing out ideas.

Anyone remotely interested in jaguars should read “Tigrero”.

It'll be all fun and games til one drags a kid into the weeds.
Bigger cat equals bigger problems.
Look Im for reintroduction of certain species but these cats may pose some problems down the road.

Seems like they are fairly seclusive. Don't let your kids out in the wilderness.:unsure:
Don't think they run in packs

It'll be all fun and games til one drags a kid into the weeds.
Bigger cat equals bigger problems.
Look Im for reintroduction of certain species but these cats may pose some problems down the road.
That cat will behave far different than a Mountain Kitty.. Those cats DO hunt Homo Erectus in certain parts of the world dont see why geo location would be any different.. .... Look at these skull comparisons.

1676389914056.png

Jaguars and mountain lions are pretty far apart on the feline scale. Jaguars are the only true big cat in the Western Hemisphere. This is loosely associated with skull shape and the ability to “roar” versus “scream” They aren’t the smallest big cat globally as they run bigger than any leopard variety.

My point is that taxonomically they are more large leopard/small tiger while mountain lions are large bobcats. That doesn’t mean they don’t have overlap in prey or range, and since mountain lions live from north to south in the Americas they also aren’t incompatible in the same range.

Jaguars and mountain lions are pretty far apart on the feline scale. Jaguars are the only true big cat in the Western Hemisphere. This is loosely associated with skull shape and the ability to “roar” versus “scream” They aren’t the smallest big cat globally as they run bigger than any leopard variety.

My point is that taxonomically they are more large leopard/small tiger while mountain lions are large bobcats. That doesn’t mean they don’t have overlap in prey or range, and since mountain lions live from north to south in the Americas they also aren’t incompatible in the same range.
Not sure how to interpret this. Mt lions are big cats and they aren't bobcats by any stretch. Jags are bigger cats and leopards are leopards, not jags or Mt lions. All are solitary hunters that routinely take down prey quite a bit bigger than themselves. I'd like to see them back. There was at least one and probably several in AZ, back when I lived there. Never saw even its tracks.

Doesn’t seem like they were ever in the US much. It would be a lot of effort for very little reward.

El Jefe, as he was named by excited local schoolchildren, found his way to good jaguar habitat in the Santa Rita Mountains near Tucson, and there he took up residence. In theory, jaguars and jaguar habitat enjoy legal protection in the United States under the Endangered Species Act. That theory is now being put to the test, because a Canadian mining company, Hudbay Minerals Inc., intends to build a gigantic open-pit copper mine in El Jefe’s home territory. If the project goes ahead, the Rosemont Mine will be the third-largest copper mine in the U.S., with a dollar value estimated in the tens of billions.

For the environmentalists battling the mine, El Jefe has become a vital tool in the courts, and a rallying symbol in the battle to sway public opinion. In Tucson, a craft beer has been named after him, and a mural attests to his popularity. On the other side of the political spectrum, El Jefe has been demonized as a Mexican intruder and a menace to rural families, even though jaguar attacks on humans are incredibly rare.

Supporters of the mine are outraged that one lone Mexican jaguar could hold up such a beneficial project, promising at least 400 jobs and a $701 million annual boost to the local economy over 20 years. Those figures are considered outrageously inflated by opponents of the mine. They predict that most mining jobs would go to existing Hudbay employees, with the bulk of the copper being sold to China, and the profits banked in Canada.

They have had a few documented in AZ over the years. I had a book at one time about a hound hunter who's dogs bayed one.
Warner Glen by chance?
Clay Newcombs just did his film premiere of his Warner Glen documentary a couple of weekends ago here in NW Arkansas. It's available on the MeatEater YT channel now. Well worth watching

Jaguars are cool but I think it’s a bad idea. When there’s very few of a species they like to use that to lock people out of areas. I am suspicious of the movement to reintroduce apex predators everywhere. Started with wolves in Id, mt, wy. Hard to have a surplus of ungulates to hunt when we reintroduce and then protect apex predators. Just my opinion but jaguars are definitely an awesome animal. Could be some negative unintended consequences and some negative intended consequences

As I understand it, there's no current evidence, either historical or paleontological, to show the Jaguar has had a significant presence in the United States. This is the northernmost tip of their range. They are transient visitors and we should protect that but not increase their range beyond it's historical boundaries. We already have the Mexican wolf reintroduction in process. We shouldn't do anything to bugger that up with another endangered species project. If Mexico wants to bolster their numbers good on them.

I saw one in the wild once, at lease I thought it was but may have been a smaller cat. It was in the Amazon north of Manaus.

Warner Glen by chance?
Clay Newcombs just did his film premiere of his Warner Glen documentary a couple of weekends ago here in NW Arkansas. It's available on the MeatEater YT channel now. Well worth watching
Yes. It was Warner Glen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back