Retire in Wyoming?

Really the only decent sized town in Wyoming that stands out is Cheyenne. Being so close to Ft Collins, Denver, etc... it's more like Colorado in some ways than Wyoming. Also why it is growing so fast. Between having the capitol and AF base it also has some benefits, as well as a refinery in town.

And now with direct flights to Dallas it has even more advantages.

Yuck! I would almost rather live in Gillette.

More than Thermopolis and less than Jackson.:D. Its remote and wouldn't be cheap to build on, but I think it would be an almost perfect spot to retire.:cool:

I don't need much of a house, but the wife is another story.

is there a bunch of tame phesants they plant around whetland,
this ne montana bird hunting is going to hell, i need birds to hunt ,water for garden and greenhouse, antelope and deer to eat, i need to invest in some land know while we have disposable income,,,

Grew up in Morrison, CO but went to school in Laramie, and lived in Cheyenne for a spell after. Back in Colorado now, but i hate that the best kept secret is out - Wyoming in a very special place.

I've lived in Gillette since 2015, and was in Laramie for three years before that. We actually love Gillette, even though it's the ugliest geographic city in the state. People are nice, it has everything you need (groceries/services/restaurants etc) and we're 1 hour from the Black Hills and one hour from the Bighorns. The county gets so much money as a result of the extraction industries that local infrastructure is pretty admirable. The rec center is AMAZING, especially for a town of 30k. It's cold (a balmy 7 right now) and can be windy but so far has been great.

Laradise, was WINDY. When I moved there I though people were messing with me when they said semi's blow over on the interstate - nope. We'd see it about once a week. Winter was a nightmare, I-80 closed constantly. Being a college town close to CO, it's also full of tree-hugging hippies. Summer and fall are gorgeous, and a great time to play in the Snowy's, but not enough to convince me to stay year round.

Last edited:
Yuck! I would almost rather live in Gillette.

You really going to compare Cheyenne to Gillette? LOL

Cheyenne has some major advantages over every other town in Wyoming. You are a short drive away from real shopping an entertainment. You can fly directly to Dallas and just about anywhere from Denver. Much better job situation with the capitol, Air Force Base, front range location, etc.. Less of roller coaster energy economy. Not a overpriced tourist trap like the other nice towns in Wyoming.

I would compare Gillette to Rawlins.

I've lived in Gillette since 2015, and was in Laramie for three years before that. We actually love Gillette, even though it's the ugliest geographic city in the state. People are nice, it has everything you need (groceries/services/restaurants etc) and we're 1 hour from the Black Hills and one hour from the Bighorns. The county gets so much money as a result of the extraction industries that local infrastructure is pretty admirable. The rec center is AMAZING, especially for a town of 30k. It's cold (a balmy 7 right now) and can be windy but so far has been great.

Laradise, was WINDY. When I moved there I though people were messing with me when they said semi's blow over on the interstate - nope. We'd see it about once a week. Winter was a nightmare, I-80 closed constantly. Being a college town close to CO, it's also full of tree-hugging hippies. Summer and fall are gorgeous, and a great time to play in the Snowy's, but not enough to convince me to stay year round.

I would never recommend anyone moving to Gillette just based on the economy alone. The job opportunities make that area unattractive for most anyone with a career in spite of the beauty of the black hills and entertainment/shopping options available that most of Wyoming lacks. Coal is dead, so aside from the occasional oil/gas roller coaster that whole region is dead for all practical economical purposes. Certainly no place to retire, but the Black hills are another story.

Between no jobs, no women, and nothing to do Gillette is really not all that desireable to most people.

Laramie has the college campus which is one of the nicest things in the whole state, and as mentioned the summers are great. But the winters are rough, wind is horrible. But you are only a short drive away from real entertainment/sports/shopping which is a full days drive from Gillette. There are some actual jobs to be had at the university and other non energy related occupations available which places like Gillette simply do not have. And there are women who are not ugly in Laramie, which is a huge improvement from Gillette. The best looking women in the state all concentrate here when they are at their best in their early 20's. I really enjoy the volleyball games.

We just got back from Cody this evening after looking at a handful of ranches in the Big Horn Basin. We may actually put in an offer on one of them after we get some more info requested.

You really going to compare Cheyenne to Gillette? LOL

Cheyenne has some major advantages over every other town in Wyoming. You are a short drive away from real shopping an entertainment. You can fly directly to Dallas and just about anywhere from Denver. Much better job situation with the capitol, Air Force Base, front range location, etc.. Less of roller coaster energy economy. Not a overpriced tourist trap like the other nice towns in Wyoming.

I would compare Gillette to Rawlins.

Shopping, entertainment, and direct flights to Dallas do not interest me. Jobs? No interest if I'm RETIRED. Close to millions of acres of some of the finest mountain wilderness in the lower 48 to hike, hunt and recreate in? This interests me.

The Snowies are great to play in, that's true. But you have to weave your way through the "Greenie" license plates. Evidently the word got out in the Denver area.

I would never recommend anyone moving to Gillette just based on the economy alone. The job opportunities make that area unattractive for most anyone with a career in spite of the beauty of the black hills and entertainment/shopping options available that most of Wyoming lacks. Coal is dead, so aside from the occasional oil/gas roller coaster that whole region is dead for all practical economical purposes. Certainly no place to retire, but the Black hills are another story.

Between no jobs, no women, and nothing to do Gillette is really not all that desireable to most people.

Laramie has the college campus which is one of the nicest things in the whole state, and as mentioned the summers are great. But the winters are rough, wind is horrible. But you are only a short drive away from real entertainment/sports/shopping which is a full days drive from Gillette. There are some actual jobs to be had at the university and other non energy related occupations available which places like Gillette simply do not have. And there are women who are not ugly in Laramie, which is a huge improvement from Gillette. The best looking women in the state all concentrate here when they are at their best in their early 20's. I really enjoy the volleyball games.

I thought this was a retirement post.... Gillette has amazing mountains nearby for recreating - no grizzly/wolves in the bighorns or black hills - and isn't too far from sheep country.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back