Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Resurrected '07 Sitka trip part 2

WFGinNM

That night it gets real windy so we head to Sulua Bay to hide the boat in some cover. Next morning it's too windy to get to the beach so we stay on the boat to take care of deer, and fish. After a couple hours of catching small flounder and Irish lords, I finaly connect with a Halibut.
BillsKodiakHunt007.jpg

Not the biggest Halibut in the Pacific but a whole lot bigger than the walleye we catch here in NM.

Next day morning back to the beach, this buck was chasing a doe until he saw our heads sky lined glassing him.
BillsKodiakHunt016.jpg

He ran right at us and Joe decided that he was asking for a boat ride that ends in a freezer.
BillsKodiakHunt017.jpg

We take a trip back to the boat to unload Joe's 2nd buck and a quick check from the area Trooper that landed his plane on the beach since it was low tide.
BillsKodiakHunt020.jpg

Back to the Island to look for another buck for me. We head up above the snowline to glass down into the alders for bedded deer. After sidehilling and glassing for about a mile I look down and see a spike watching me at about 40yards. Off to his left another deer is sneaking away through the alders. I saw his spread and decided he'd do just fine. Once he cleared the alders, my 2nd buck was down.
BillsKodiakHunt030.jpg

The next morning my friend Michael and I went up a valley from Sulua Bay and watched a decent buck work towards us looking for does and trashing alders with his antlers. Didn't take him long to get close enough to win a trip the the boat. Here is Micheal's 2nd buck.
BillsKodiakHunt046.jpg

All 9 bucks we took that hunt...
BillsKodiakHunt070.jpg

The next day we worked on getting the deer cut and wrapped for the flight home. Weather in Kodiak was windy so we stayed an extra day on the boat, and Tim from Alaska Coastal Marine had a float plane come in to take us to Old Harbor, where we met a larger plane to fly us back to Kodiak.
BillsKodiakHunt086.jpg

BillsKodiakHunt089.jpg

Old Harbor
BillsKodiakHunt137.jpg

BillsKodiakHunt136.jpg

Flight from Old Harbor to Kodiak was pretty low.
BillsKodiakHunt152.jpg

And the Kodiak Airport.
BillsKodiakHunt161.jpg

BillsKodiakHunt162.jpg

We used Alaska Coastal Marine as our Transporter and I would love to go again, it's on my list.
Sorry to bore anyone that has seen this before, but I've had some requests about the trip.

Thanks,
--Bill

I'm headed up there this fall. Thanks for making it that much harder to wait!!:rolleyes: Hope our hunt is as good as yours was!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back