Removal of old logging roads

Ha - NP/Clearwater spent wheelbarrows of money on this 15-20 years ago. Then they built an ATV trail system right on top of it.
I had friends that were on some of those crews for summer jobs. They explained it as a couple people working and a whole lot of people just sitting around or screwing around riding ATV’s

I’ve got a couple favorite spots I elk hunt that have reclaimed roads. It’s pure suck hiking them due to amount of crap they placed in the old road beds.

Another area I used to hunt had all the culverts ripped out and huge ditches left in their place. They were awful for sliding, filling full of sediment, etc. I’m not a hydrologist but it seemed way worse for water than when they had a culvert

I’m almost always good with just putting up a gate and letting nature do it’s thing

I had friends that were on some of those crews for summer jobs. They explained it as a couple people working and a whole lot of people just sitting around or screwing around riding ATV’s

I’ve got a couple favorite spots I elk hunt that have reclaimed roads. It’s pure suck hiking them due to amount of crap they placed in the old road beds.

Another area I used to hunt had all the culverts ripped out and huge ditches left in their place. They were awful for sliding, filling full of sediment, etc. I’m not a hydrologist but it seemed way worse for water than when they had a culvert

I’m almost always good with just putting up a gate and letting nature do it’s thing
I remember in the Clinton Administration there was obliteration done up in the Big & Little Sand Creek drainages. The roads were restored to their original hill slopes. The cost per mile of this must be outrageous.

Agree with others that gating/blocking roads seems best. Most fully reclaimed roads I have seen are near streambeds to fix runoff/sediment issues. Most other old roads are gated/blocked and grow back in thick with alders and other vegetation. Occasionally find spots where ambitious elk hunters cut tunnels through the alders.

A few examples in spots I have spent some time. This project initially reduced roads from 76 miles to 30 miles in a 7.8sq mile drainage. And further reductions were made in this drainage since the initial project. Had big impacts on sediment in NF CDA:

Many miles of closed roads all thru these drainages - most were not "restored" unless near streambeds/culverts. Big water quality improvements:

Restoration Partnership in CDA basin is more focused on mining issues (and I think they get Super Fund/EPA $$). The program has cleaned up some rough looking spots, again mainly near water and still ongoing:

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back