Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Reloading help

I started years ago with the RCBS Master reloading kit and added a decent caliper, case trimmer and a powder trickler. As time went on, I added a bullet puller and a complete set of shell holders. With this set up I've loaded thousands of rounds. Its wise to have multiple manuals and read them thoroughly. You can spend as much as you want to on other stuff but with this basic set up you have all you need other than dies.
I also started reloading years ago (like 1967) when I bought my first centerfire rifle. I somewhat agree with N2TRKYS as in the long run it is cheaper to buy the best initially instead of upgrading later, however many starting reloaders can't justify the high cost of the latest and greatest piece of equipment. My major source of reloading equipment when I started was Herter's, and I started reloading with one of their "C" presses, .30-06 dies, bullet lube, beam scale, a cheap plastic caliper, and a copy of the 1964 Lyman Reloading Manual No. 43 . I made my shell holder from a scrap piece of wood, and I still use it, along with several others. That simple set up allowed me to shoot as much as I wanted, and to get my deer and elk every year for the next 10 years.

I'm a firm believer in reloading manuals. Most manuals have the answers to just about every reloading question you might have. I have over 20 reloading manuals in my library along with a 3 ring binder with loads and info that I've downloaded from the internet.

Over the years I've upgraded my reloading equipment to everything that is included in the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Single Stage Press Kit. You'll use everything in that kit, although I don't use the hand priming tool. Eventually you will need a bullet puller, a case trimmer, a powder trickler, and a stuck case remover. I've bought or made many other reloading items, to where my bench how holds 7 presses for reloading 4 shotgun gauges, 11 rifle and 6 pistol cartridges.

Good grief.....all the guy asked for was some help on what equipment to buy and it’s been de railed into “what’s too complicated” or what’s “too much money”

Every tool made for reloading has a purpose...some are more useful than others.

And yes you get what you pay for...at some point there is reduced return for dollars spent....

As I stated above.... ABC of Reloading book will be your best friend getting started. Then a basic kit will save you a few bucks and you can build from there.

"Every tool made for reloading has a purpose." And for a good many of them the purpose is sales.

Back