PEAX Equipment

Reloading and shooting

I took my new to me rifle out to the range yesterday, and I was getting 1” to 0.75” groups at 100yrds. The manufacture says 0.50” MOA at 100yrds. I am debating if I need to try Accubonds in it to see if I get a better group or am I just splitting hairs?

The last thing I noticed is I have a fine reticle and it was hard for me to pick out the crosshairs while on the bulleyes. Has anyone run into this issue?
I suspect the maker got .50" with the load he used in testing. Did he tell you what that load was? Probably have a lot to do with the rifle he was shooting at the time and the person shooting it!

I can see the reticle on other items just not the splatter target I was using. Hence the reason for asking if other people had this issue.

Based on past results I would say I am not good enough to be 0.50 MOA shooter. 1”-0.75” is realistic.
I still feel like it’s perhaps not an easy to see reticle. At least check it against brush in low light both morning and evening.

Don’t be too hard on yourself, you’re likely not all that bad. Even a benchrest shooter with 3 wind flags, a 3” flat fore end on a 13.5lb gun that barely recoils shoots smaller groups indoors. I was just making the point that if a rifle/ammo combination shoots .5MOA from a machine rest indoors, and that rifle is a hunting weight rifle, with a hunting profile stock, and produces recoil commensurate with hunting cartridges, then NO SHOOTER is going to shoot .5MOA groups all the time with that rifle outdoors with a normal rest. Some .5MOA groups? Sure! All the time? Not unless that rifle/ammo combo is actually capable of better.

I would give the ABs a try. It might shoot better. It might be capable of well under .5MOA as well.

I still feel like it’s perhaps not an easy to see reticle. At least check it against brush in low light both morning and evening.

Don’t be too hard on yourself, you’re likely not all that bad. Even a benchrest shooter with 3 wind flags, a 3” flat fore end on a 13.5lb gun that barely recoils shoots smaller groups indoors. I was just making the point that if a rifle/ammo combination shoots .5MOA from a machine rest indoors, and that rifle is a hunting weight rifle, with a hunting profile stock, and produces recoil commensurate with hunting cartridges, then NO SHOOTER is going to shoot .5MOA groups all the time with that rifle outdoors with a normal rest. Some .5MOA groups? Sure! All the time? Not unless that rifle/ammo combo is actually capable of better.

I would give the ABs a try. It might shoot better. It might be capable of well under .5MOA as well.
Here is the ammo used for the test:
280 AI- Nosler Trophy Grade 140 gr. Accubond

Here is the ammo used for the test:
280 AI- Nosler Trophy Grade 140 gr. Accubond
I would think that if you loaded the same bullet, to the same COAL and same velocity, then it should shoot the same.

I make my own targets out of white cardboard with 1” orange dots. Very easy to see hits at 100 yds. My hold point is 6 o’clock as I have trouble centering. Works for me. MTG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back