Reloading and shooting

williaada

I took my new to me rifle out to the range yesterday, and I was getting 1” to 0.75” groups at 100yrds. The manufacture says 0.50” MOA at 100yrds. I am debating if I need to try Accubonds in it to see if I get a better group or am I just splitting hairs?

The last thing I noticed is I have a fine reticle and it was hard for me to pick out the crosshairs while on the bulleyes. Has anyone run into this issue?

How are the groups? Are they clustered in any way? What ammo does the manufacturer recommend to get this guarantee? Have you checked all you mounts? Is there barrel touching the stock?

How are the groups? Are they clustered in any way? What ammo does the manufacturer recommend to get this guarantee? Have you checked all you mounts? Is their barrel touching the stock?

It is Bergara.280ai and the factory used 140gr AB.

I am running 150gr Barnes right now.

Everything is good and tight.

Good points made about what goes into shooting a 0.5” group from the shooters end of the equation.

A rifle that averages 1 MOA 3 shot groups is likely to print a sub 0.5” group occasionally and then the manufacturer can tell you it meets its guarantee. It’s a marketing scheme. I wouldn’t waste your money and time chasing what they advertise if it’s shooting well enough for your objectives especially if you’re not positive that you’re breaking shots capable of achieving significantly less than .5 MOA groups.

Last edited:
Are you a .5“ shooter? A lot of us have a difficult time shooting groups like that. Whats the rifle?
I am about 0.75” shooter most of the time and usually get a couple of bullets touching. Yesterday I only got one grouping where I had bullets touching on the target. I could could take a quarter and it would touch the bullet holes in the target. When I did not reset the target i had 6 all in a little 1”x1” square. Guess I am closer to a 1” MOA at 100yrds :)

The rifle is a Bergara Premier Mountain .280AI

I make my own targets. Use a diamond as an aiming point. Just works for me and cost less. Just had 20 made up and cost me about $3.00! Draw them up and print them on a printer in town. Could print them here at home but cute chick in town! :) My groups go 1" I'm satified. They go smaller, so much the better. I think we all look for more than we need for hunting!

I make my own targets. Use a diamond as an aiming point. Just works for me and cost less. Just had 20 made up and cost me about $3.00! Draw them up and print them on a printer in town. Could print them here at home but cute chick in town! :) My groups go 1" I'm satified. They go smaller, so much the better. I think we all look for more than we need for hunting!
Forgot to pun in the photo.

I am about 0.75” shooter most of the time and usually get a couple of bullets touching. Yesterday I only got one grouping where I had bullets touching on the target. I could could take a quarter and it would touch the bullet holes in the target. When I did not reset the target i had 6 all in a little 1”x1” square. Guess I am closer to a 1” MOA at 100yrds :)

The rifle is a Bergara Premier Mountain .280AI
I think your making much to do about nothing. You said you had 1 group where the bullets were touching. So the rifle can do it but can you consistently?

It is Bergara.280ai and the factory used 140gr AB.

I am running 150gr Barnes right now.

Everything is good and tight.
Definitely try Accubonds to see if your groups shrink. I have two rifles that don't shoot Barnes well but shoot lights out with Accubonds. It's whatever the rifle likes, so try some different bullets.

Could easily be the Barnes bullets. Could possibly need a cleaning. Shooting .5MOA outdoors in imperfect conditions is harder than some people think.

Bergara probably produced a test target indoors that was under .5MOA so the rifle is probably capable. That said, if it’s barely a .5MOA rifle, I doubt you’re a .001MOA shooter.

If you can’t see the reticle on the target, you won’t see it on a deer or an elk.

I’d try the ABs and see how they shoot.

Could easily be the Barnes bullets. Could possibly need a cleaning. Shooting .5MOA outdoors in imperfect conditions is harder than some people think.

Bergara probably produced a test target indoors that was under .5MOA so the rifle is probably capable. That said, if it’s barely a .5MOA rifle, I doubt you’re a .001MOA shooter.

If you can’t see the reticle on the target, you won’t see it on a deer or an elk.

I’d try the ABs and see how they shoot.
I can see the reticle on other items just not the splatter target I was using. Hence the reason for asking if other people had this issue.

Based on past results I would say I am not good enough to be 0.50 MOA shooter. 1”-0.75” is realistic.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back