Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Reloader 26 and the 270 Win

I think @EastTNHunter is talking about temperatures.
Which is odd for RL26 to have swings like that.
I'm guessing they were at the ragged edge pressure wise to begin with.
I shoot RL26 in my 7mm Rem Mag from 18°f-98°f with no issues.
You are correct on temperature stability, and are likely correct about my load being on the edge. I had not seen any pressure signs previously, but when I did they were VERY flat primers, loose primer pockets, hard bolt lift, etc. If you are far enough below max I doubt that you will have any issues. I’m not saying that it is bad powder, just realize that the pressure signs may come quickly and be exhibited in higher temps.

For me the only advantage to using the RL26 was the 100fps speed gain. If I did not have that then I might as well stick to my “ole faithful” I4350.

You are correct on temperature stability, and are likely correct about my load being on the edge. I had not seen any pressure signs previously, but when I did they were VERY flat primers, loose primer pockets, hard bolt lift, etc. If you are far enough below max I doubt that you will have any issues. I’m not saying that it is bad powder, just realize that the pressure signs may come quickly and be exhibited in higher temps.

For me the only advantage to using the RL26 was the 100fps speed gain. If I did not have that then I might as well stick to my “ole faithful” I4350.
I do a 10 shot ladder test going 0.3gr of powder for each cartridge, so i'm covering about 3.0gr of powder charge, for any powder bullet combo.
(Note, i shoot some "obsolete" cartridges with bullets & powder that there is no data for)

Doing that, i usually, usually, find 2 nodes for powder charge.
If i'm looking for best accuracy, i'll choose the lower node.

If i'm looking for velocity & acceptable accuracy, i'll choose the upper node. Still my upper nodes are about 1/2gr lower than where i start showing pressure signs. Usually swipe on the bolt head and or increased bolt lift.
I use the upper node in my 7mm Rem Mag, knowing that after 5-6 reloads i'm scrapping the cases due to loose primer pockets.

Lets face it, a deer or other animal isn't going to know the difference in 100fps.
But the Rem Mag was built for velocity, hence why i use the upper node in it.

I’ve experienced the same thing up here in northern Idaho, no temperature issue at all. Actually after 35 years of shooting several 270 I’ve had to rethink, 270’s ether love 130’s or love 150’s but they don’t generally love them both. With this powder and the heavier bullet it works wonders.

I think @EastTNHunter is talking about temperatures.
Which is odd for RL26 to have swings like that.
I'm guessing they were at the ragged edge pressure wise to begin with.
I shoot RL26 in my 7mm Rem Mag from 18°f-98°f with no issues.

I’ve had the same temp swings with rl26 in a 6.5-06, 6.5prc, 6.5 Sherman, and a 280 ackley. Work up loads in 50 degree weather with no issues. Target shoot in 90 degrees and have pressure problems.

RL26 is really no different than any other powder with temp and load development. Loads developed in cooler temps that are pressing pressure will likely show oh oh pressure in summer temps. I develop loads based upon the environment I intend to hunt. If hunting in higher temps, develop load accordingly. Hunting cooler/colder like higher altitudes in fall, push the load by developing in cooler temps. Generally, I only practice very early morn in summer where temps are still in 60's for me do rarely see issue with any powder. Not everyone had the temp luxury so develop load accordingly if you want to shoot a lot in higher temps. Just my 0.02.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back