regular credit card theft?

Khunter

Anybody else regularly have fraudulent purchases showing up on your credit card? Seems we have someone trying to steal thousands of dollars almost annually and have to cancel a card and get a new card and account number...

I keep mine next to am RFID card to protect my data from being stolen when card in in my wallet. Guessing it gets stolen as gas pumps etc. by card skimmers. Not sure. Do have it stored online for autopay for certain accounts...

This week is was over 4 grand for a camera at Adorama, previously it has been $11,000 for airline tickets etc.

Thoughts and experience comparisons?

I have a Capitol 1card that was replaced six times in an eight month span because of fraudulent activity. The last incident happened on a newly issued card that I hadn't even made a purchase with yet. After many calls with the fraud department they opened a "special investigation" and it's been two+ years running without another incident. I think having financial monitoring & CS centers in the most corrupt 3rd world countries plays a big part in the fraud.

Second problem I had was with a Chase business checking account. The account was only used for depositing business checks, and then I transferred the funds to other business banking accounts. The cards issued to that deposit account were continually having fraudulent activities even though I'd only used them at Chase locations. I closed all my chase accounts and that solved my debit card issues immediately.

i think i had a 1000 dollars of fradulent debit card purchases on my credit union debit card like 6 years ago and i think that's it.

my discover and fidelity cards have never had any fraudulent activity yet. unless i'm forgetting an instance.

either way, pretty rare for me so far

I've had it happen to me twice in like 15 years and both on my business card, and both times happened out of country while traveling for work.

My mom however, I feel like she is having it happen to her at least 2x a year.

What card by the way?

Had one card that seems to get stolen every couple months. Only minor charges, like less than ten dollars at a time. Maybe they're testing the card before the big purchase?

Anybody else regularly have fraudulent purchases showing up on your credit card? Seems we have someone trying to steal thousands of dollars almost annually and have to cancel a card and get a new card and account number...

I keep mine next to am RFID card to protect my data from being stolen when card in in my wallet. Guessing it gets stolen as gas pumps etc. by card skimmers. Not sure. Do have it stored online for autopay for certain accounts...

This week is was over 4 grand for a camera at Adorama, previously it has been $11,000 for airline tickets etc.

You’re doing some type of transaction or purchases that must be prime for fraud. If you replace the cards and it keeps happening, look at what you’re doing. It might be online or at some store. The amount of fraud you are having is not normal.

Last time I had multiple iPhone purchases at Walmart (buy online, pick up in store) in multiple cities. A day later the card got hit with over 150 separate purchases at Costco online for just under $300.

Everyone I know has had it happen and there is really no way to stop it. All you can do is check your account and let the bank know ASAP. They will give you a new card and the process starts again. I would guess half the companies don’t know until months later when a hacker has gotten into the system and taken the numbers.

That seems excessive! I have had it happen to me but maybe once every 4-5 years, it's a real p.i.a.

I now have purchase alerts on my credit card and my debit card. Every single use sends a text to my phone. It's a little annoying but not as annoying as setting up a new card.

We have a separate bank account for our debit cards, different bank. We keep the cash exposure there minimal, and do not use the debit card associated with our "main" bank.

Have had numerous card locks and replacements the last couple of years. Sometimes because we bought gasoline in a different state from home....

David
NM

Just had this happen on Monday. Happy New Year to me. Woke up to an email wanting me to confirm or deny a purchase of Sitka Gear. Had to think about whether it was me or not. It wasn't so I called them as I logged onto my account. There were over $3,000 of fraudulent charges in the previous 12 hours. Crazy thing is there were two fraudulent charges to Midway and one to Sitka. Got it all straightened out and new card arrived yesterday. We were at the Seahawks game on Sunday and I'm assuming that is where it got hacked/stolen but only a guess.

We have a separate bank account for our debit cards, different bank. We keep the cash exposure there minimal, and do not use the debit card associated with our "main" bank.

Have had numerous card locks and replacements the last couple of years. Sometimes because we bought gasoline in a different state from home....

David
NM

My old bank would require me to notify them when I went out of state. As long as I did that my card wouldn't get locked.

I’ve been lucky enough to have only had 2 fraud charges show up lifetime… knock on wood

Just had this happen on Monday. Happy New Year to me. Woke up to an email wanting me to confirm or deny a purchase of Sitka Gear. Had to think about whether it was me or not. It wasn't so I called them as I logged onto my account. There were over $3,000 of fraudulent charges in the previous 12 hours. Crazy thing is there were two fraudulent charges to Midway and one to Sitka. Got it all straightened out and new card arrived yesterday. We were at the Seahawks game on Sunday and I'm assuming that is where it got hacked/stolen but only a guess.
What are the odds of the fraudulent purchases coming from two different retailers you already purchased from? I'm guessing at some point you made online purchases from both of them.. Other than the card processing company, who else would know you had placed online orders with those two retailers and used the same card at both?

My personal opinion is that the processing company employees are responsible for more theft than skimmers and actual card theft combined.

I’ve had two fraudulent charges in the last 18 months, one was about $12k over a 2 day period. Took some investigation but they cleared it and charges were all reversed.

Then my wife’s debit card had a fraudulent charge while she was on a business trip this fall, I was elk hunting in Colorado at the time and she had my debit card and the only credit card I had with me cancelled…luckily my bank has a branch in Gunnison or I’d have had to do like the Flintstones.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back