Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Region G bucks

Ultrahunter

I drew a Region G buck tag. I know some of you have probably hunted it before, so lets see some pics of what I can expect to see over there.

Here is one from 2003. I don't have the other pics scanned. This is the biggest buck I have harvested, ever.

Attachments

• deerpic 3.jpg
    deerpic 3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 530
  • wy03deerA.jpg
    wy03deerA.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 505
  • wy03deerE.jpg
    wy03deerE.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 526
Man I am getting more excited by the minute. I can't wait to have a go at those Mtns!!

Ultrahunter,
Congrats on the tag. "G" is some of the most beautiful country around. You will love it. I use to hunt it every year. Haven't spent much time there the last few years.

I know of a local guy that found the sheds off a buck that lives in G that scored 225 NT last winter. Imagine what that buck will score this year. Also there was a 40" buck on the winter range last year with matching hooked cheaters. So there are at least two monsters for you to chase. Killing either of those bucks will make you a celeb in the hunting world ;).

Good luck and I can't wait to see pics!

Man a 40" buck!!! I can't even even imagine seeing a buck like that in county like that. Stories like that are what keep me up at night. I can't wait!! What made you quit hunting "G" Wyo??

Ultrahunter,
Congrats on the tag. "G" is some of the most beautiful country around. You will love it. I use to hunt it every year. Haven't spent much time there the last few years.

I know of a local guy that found the sheds off a buck that lives in G that scored 225 NT last winter. Imagine what that buck will score this year. Also there was a 40" buck on the winter range last year with matching hooked cheaters. So there are at least two monsters for you to chase. Killing either of those bucks will make you a celeb in the hunting world ;).

Good luck and I can't wait to see pics!

Ultra,
The backcountry is pretty packed the first couple weeks of the season. There are endless outfitters. They are everywhere. Everyone and their dog is an outfitter there now. Also utah outfitters come up also because its not wilderness.

You would be better off waiting till the last week of the season and then hunt the areas that are just out of reach for the day hunters but not far enough back in for the horse hunters.

The numbers are really low too and last winter was the worst winter we've had in the years. Some say the die off was worse than '92. I can't recall seeing more dead deer than this year.

But don't let that discourage you. Its beautiful country and you will see still see some quality bucks.

PM me your email address and i'll send you a few pics of some bucks still "on the hoof" in G.

Scott,
Go to the game and fish website and read the article. One of the biologists said its the worst hes ever seen it too. Also its on pinedaleonline.com. Another great site to check out!

Hey i thought I would post a few pics. From what I saw this spring the older class bucks and the fawns were hit the hardest. It was unreal how many dead deer we found. A lot got hung up on fences because of the depth of snow. What was scary was about 90 percent of them were not even eaten on when we found them (april). There was hardly any coyote sign in most of these areas. All of these pics are of different deer and were in an area where they couldn't be harrassed by shed hunters etc.

Last edited:
It makes sense though, years of drought, then cap it off with one year of "normal winter" and it produces a hard winter. At least we feed the elk just to keep all the hunters happy with those numbers.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back