Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Refilling wind indicator bottle?

Paul in Idaho

My windicator bottle is almost empty, so I'd like to refill it before deer rifle season. I think the original material is an unscented talc, but I'm wondering if something I already have might work as well. Baking powder and cornstarch have crossed my mind.

Have any of you used these? Or should I buy talc, like this https://amzn.com/B005U4A9KW

We use the powder chalk sold at hardware stores for snapping chalk lines. Usually bright orange...very visible.

a whole new bottle costs like 4 bucks? maybe you use it more than I do, but mine figures out to like $1/year???

I got a bottle of microballoons off of Amazon. It should last my hunting partners and I many years and it was just a few bucks. They seem to work well.

a whole new bottle costs like 4 bucks? maybe you use it more than I do, but mine figures out to like $1/year???

I don't know about the OP, but in addition to wasting a perfectly good $0.03 bottle which offends my hatred of the disposable society, I personally don't like to buy something already made when I can make it myself using an $8 bottle of talc (before shipping). Sneaking into the Imerys mine to get talc is even more appealing to me. It's must be my inner urge to act like I'm self reliant self. I tie my own flies too, and after 40+ years I think I've broken even from my Hoffman purchases. I don't want to add up the money I spend hunting to save money on food. If you think I'm kidding I am not. It must be because my dad grew up in the depression.

Thanks guys. I like that colored construction chalk idea, might have to try that.

Yeah, it's not a big expense but I'd like to have a backup plan in case the bottle is low and I don't discover it in time to go buy a new one. A 13-ounce bottle would be nearly a lifetime supply. It's been a crazy year at work and I have slipped up on other prep items. Trying to think ahead.

I use corn starch, works just fine and we already have it at home. Heck, the bottle I use is from some old soap or something.

I use corn starch, works just fine and we already have it at home. Heck, the bottle I use is from some old soap or something.

We do the same. I use 2 bottles in a week elk hunting and then less then half a bottle at home hunting deer into January.

I happened to be at the hardware store and saw the powdered marking chalk was only $2.49 for enough to 50 lifetimes.

You could try powdered toothpaste. As it turned out this funny story just turned up on my Charlie Parr list.

Back