Yeti GOBOX Collection

Rebarrel Project

deer_shooter

Back in December I dropped off my Ruger 30/06 off for a new barrel as my groups had started to open up. I ended up getting a 6.5 Brux barrel installed. Picked it up last night and mounted the scope. I will try to get to the range this afternoon and see what we can do with it. Barrel and action is ceracoated bronze and the bolt coated black; bedded in a McMillan stock. Mounted a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 (thanks Schmalts).

Attachments

• Rifle.jpg
    Rifle.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
Nice choice on the bronze, I’m leaning toward that on my next one! If it shoots like it looks you’re in for a good season!

After a few range sessions trying a variety of loads for a 125gr copper bullet, I was getting a little frustrated. The gun shot ok but not great. Ordered a sample pack of 139gr Hammer bullets and think I found something in can work with. I'm ordering box of 50 and will see if I can dial it in a bit better.

Attachments

• 6.5.jpg
    6.5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
After a few range sessions trying a variety of loads for a 125gr copper bullet, I was getting a little frustrated. The gun shot ok but not great. Ordered a sample pack of 139gr Hammer bullets and think I found something in can work with. I'm ordering box of 50 and will see if I can dial it in a bit better.

What twist?

As it turned out the group posted above was a one time thing. I waited almost 6 weeks for my order of Berger bullets to arrive and to my surprise, I couldn't get either the 140's or 156's to group at all. Nothing under about an inch and a half and nothing repeatable. After 4 different bullets and 3 different powders, fiddling with seating depth and charge weights, I was really getting discouraged. With nothing left to lose, I swapped out scopes and got sighted back in. I loaded up a few of the original 125gr bullets and the first 3 down range went into a .46" group. I've gone back to the range twice since with the same load and each time the group is the same so I'm in a much better place now. I boxed up the scope I had taken off an sent back to Leupold for repair/replacement.

Attachments

• 6.5 group - Bulldozers.jpg
    6.5 group - Bulldozers.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
I'd not be surprised if this twist is too slow for some of the bullets you are trying. That said, it's a great looking rifle and seems to have the potential to be quite a shooter.
Definitely too slow for the 156gr. They were keyholing at a 100 so definitely out of consideration. 140s looked promising and I feel pretty good about getting them dialed in at some point. The 125's though holding steady at a half inch is a big relief. I wish I'd tried swapping scopes sooner but it was shooting just good enough to make me think the rifle was just finicky. Live and learn.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BullelkSD
Back