Rebarrel Project

deer_shooter

Back in December I dropped off my Ruger 30/06 off for a new barrel as my groups had started to open up. I ended up getting a 6.5 Brux barrel installed. Picked it up last night and mounted the scope. I will try to get to the range this afternoon and see what we can do with it. Barrel and action is ceracoated bronze and the bolt coated black; bedded in a McMillan stock. Mounted a Leupold VX3i 4.5-14x40 (thanks Schmalts).

Attachments

• Rifle.jpg
    Rifle.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
Nice choice on the bronze, I’m leaning toward that on my next one! If it shoots like it looks you’re in for a good season!

After a few range sessions trying a variety of loads for a 125gr copper bullet, I was getting a little frustrated. The gun shot ok but not great. Ordered a sample pack of 139gr Hammer bullets and think I found something in can work with. I'm ordering box of 50 and will see if I can dial it in a bit better.

Attachments

• 6.5.jpg
    6.5.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
After a few range sessions trying a variety of loads for a 125gr copper bullet, I was getting a little frustrated. The gun shot ok but not great. Ordered a sample pack of 139gr Hammer bullets and think I found something in can work with. I'm ordering box of 50 and will see if I can dial it in a bit better.

What twist?

As it turned out the group posted above was a one time thing. I waited almost 6 weeks for my order of Berger bullets to arrive and to my surprise, I couldn't get either the 140's or 156's to group at all. Nothing under about an inch and a half and nothing repeatable. After 4 different bullets and 3 different powders, fiddling with seating depth and charge weights, I was really getting discouraged. With nothing left to lose, I swapped out scopes and got sighted back in. I loaded up a few of the original 125gr bullets and the first 3 down range went into a .46" group. I've gone back to the range twice since with the same load and each time the group is the same so I'm in a much better place now. I boxed up the scope I had taken off an sent back to Leupold for repair/replacement.

Attachments

• 6.5 group - Bulldozers.jpg
    6.5 group - Bulldozers.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
I'd not be surprised if this twist is too slow for some of the bullets you are trying. That said, it's a great looking rifle and seems to have the potential to be quite a shooter.
Definitely too slow for the 156gr. They were keyholing at a 100 so definitely out of consideration. 140s looked promising and I feel pretty good about getting them dialed in at some point. The 125's though holding steady at a half inch is a big relief. I wish I'd tried swapping scopes sooner but it was shooting just good enough to make me think the rifle was just finicky. Live and learn.

Back