Re-priming a live primer?

Brian in Montana

Is this a safe thing to do? I had to pull a bullet the other day that I grossly over-seated. I just tossed the primed casing after that. That impact bullet puller dings up the casing mouth pretty bad. I was uncomfortable running it through the resizer/deprimer because I was concerned the primer would fire.

...and the title of this question was supposed to be "de-priming" not "re-priming".

Last edited:
You can simply resize the neck and not deprime if it's still a good primer and the case mouth is only out spec. No need to de-prime.

Either remove the de-priming pin from your die, or raise it so it doesn't touch the primer, but still sizes the neck.

I've removed live primers before without having them go bang, but it's not really advised. It's a loud bang in an enclosed area and your ears won't like the results, as I imagine neither will your family. :)

You can resize it no problem.
Can either remove depriming stem if you want to leave primer in or knock the primer out. I have done it many times.

I've done is several times without issue. A lot of sources will say it's dangerous and it probably is to some extent. One way to help resolve the potential issue is to pour water or oil based lube into the case and let it sit for a few minutes/hours which should render the compound inactive...admittedly it still isn't 100% safe. Regardless of what you do toss the primer as even with "deactivating" the priming compound the anvil is ruined and the primer won't be reliable. You can also remove the depriming in pin.

EDIT: Looks like everyone beat me to an answer

If you're more comfortable working with spent primers, load the case with the primer (no powder or bullet) in your gun, point it in a safe direction and fire the primer. You're out a few pennies for the primer, but now it's the normal de-prime and neck size.

How in the world did you bugger up the case mouth with an impact puller? I have it down to where I don't even bugger up the bullet! Hate collet puller's. Have one and have never been able to save the bullet.

I just de-primed some brass with live primers and experienced no issues. Go slow and make sure you wear ear and eye protection (just in case).

How in the world did you bugger up the case mouth with an impact puller? I have it down to where I don't even bugger up the bullet! Hate collet puller's. Have one and have never been able to save the bullet.

In my limited experience with reloading, I've had to use the impact puller like a half dozen times. Each time the bullet came out ok, reusable, but the case mouth was banged up. 5 rounds I had to pull because I forgot to prime them. I actually ran those through the re-sizer and salvaged probably 3 or 4 casings. The one this weekend was primed, so I just tossed it and kept the bullet.

Will an impact puller make a primer go off sometimes?

I haven't seen a way to damage bullets or cases in my hammer. I just got tired of how loud it is.

In my limited experience with reloading, I've had to use the impact puller like a half dozen times. Each time the bullet came out ok, reusable, but the case mouth was banged up. 5 rounds I had to pull because I forgot to prime them. I actually ran those through the re-sizer and salvaged probably 3 or 4 casings. The one this weekend was primed, so I just tossed it and kept the bullet.

Will an impact puller make a primer go off sometimes?

All I needed was one time.

How did you set off a primer in an impact puller? And what happened exactly? mtmuley

That's what I was wondering. Wouldn't the primer going off under such conditions blow up the round, be about like a hand grenade in effect?

Seems like if this were apt to happen you wouldn't see impact puller for sale everywhere reloading supplies are sold.

I've run primed cases through a die after pulling a bullet lots of times. Pull bullet, dump powder then just run the expander ball through the neck to re-uniform. If it concerns you, fire the primer in a rifle. Done this for years. But, yeah, I want to hear Rancho's story. And I can't see how an impact puller damages a bullet either. mtmuley

Interesting, so it didn't happen.. To a .300 Win Mag. No it didn't didn't blow up the round. But it did didn't singe the powder.. Handy tip - do a little research and you'll see these didn't happens happen enough that people don't use kinetic pullers any more.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back