NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Rainbows

rjlefty3

Snuck out of work early and went fishing with one of my buddies. We hit one of our favorite spots, which we've been having good luck in, although still tough fishing. The water is clear and slow, giving the trout plenty of time to check out your flies (and if you're like me, make a mistake in the process). Flows were up a bit and the fish we feeding pretty hard when I first got there. First cast out a 20" rainbow decided to try it out.

We moved on and fished around (and missed a couple other big ones I should have caught) before coming back to the same spot before dark. After a few casts with a midge dropper and no takes, I threw on an egg pattern and picked up this rainbow in the process. Another 20" fish. Biggest fish I've caught on a fly rod and completes a goal of mine to land a 20" trout from a stream (I'm from brookie territory, where anything over 15" is an impressive fish).

I'm in no way a pro, but to have a night like this shows me I'm at least getting a little better!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 271
For whatever reason I couldn't upload 2 pictures, so here's the first one I caught. I really like the colors on this one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 269
I love my 4 wt. Where I usually fish they put a lot of 12 inch or so stocker trout, so I usually used my 3 wt. One day I'm drifting a BWO and the biggest fish I've ever seen hits the surface and hammers the fly. As soon as it started to run it snaps my poor 3 wt rod and eventually the tippet too. So, ever since I use a 4 wt when I fish there, just in case.

I love my 4 wt. Where I usually fish they put a lot of 12 inch or so stocker trout, so I usually used my 3 wt. One day I'm drifting a BWO and the biggest fish I've ever seen hits the surface and hammers the fly. As soon as it started to run it snaps my poor 3 wt rod and eventually the tippet too. So, ever since I use a 4 wt when I fish there, just in case.

I would do the same. That sounds like the greatest, yet worst fishing day.

Back