Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Rail and Rings Feedback

Runnin_Chupacabra

Hey guys, I've been having a fit with grouping my rifle of late, and I am a competent shooter. Long story short, last year I was gathering cattle on an ATV and flipped the quad trying to flank the herd. Quad flipped with the rifle on it 2-3 times (bring the rifle for coyotes). I had troubles there after and discovered my scope was not working correctly; bought a vortex diamondback after that. In preparing for CA deer season the shots are not making sense given the corresponding elevation adjustments, ie. move down two clicks at 100yds and shot goes 3.5" lower. I am shooting copper and have heard Cu can be much more inconsistent than lead. I'm looking at buying new rings and possibly new rail. I've attached a pick of the rail with some interesting scuffs on them and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions? Thanks for your input and help in warding off some grey hairs in this process!IMG_4938.jpeg
IMG_6098.jpeg

I’d also recommend some new bases/rings and check the front base screw to make sure it’s not bottoming/contacting the barrel threads.
I’m a big fan of the Hawkins Hybrids. Extremely well made and solid.

You may be able to find something decent locally. Cutting it close for opening weekend!😁

Is it just me or does that first picture of what I assume is the rear scope base, look like 1) the rear screw isn’t properly screwed down and 2) the base looks to be less than parallel to the rifle? ( using the line of the top corner of the receiver as a reference for paralleling the center of the receiver)

First thing you do when you suspect that a scope isn’t dialing properly is to shoot a few groups without touching the dials. If you’re shooting two inch groups you’re going to be dialing all over the place for no reason. Shoot 3-5 shots, make an adjustment, shoot 3-5 more etc. If you can’t get the group centered the scope may have some issue. If you’re shooting half inch groups and dialing a little moves it a lot, it could be the scope.

It’s also possible once you adjust too far up or right for the adjustment screw to loose contact with the erector tube, and it can settle very erratically after a shot inside the main tube. In this case there’s nothing actually wrong with the scope, it’s just out of adjustment, usually due to poor alignment of the receiver holes or bases and rings.

You may be able to find something decent locally. Cutting it close for opening weekend!😁
I know right! I was money out to 200 when sighting in until I ran out of ammo, local shop was out of my ammo and wasn't sure when the next shipment was coming in so I was stressing. Luckily got a few boxes the other day.

Is it just me or does that first picture of what I assume is the rear scope base, look like 1) the rear screw isn’t properly screwed down and 2) the base looks to be less than parallel to the rifle? ( using the line of the top corner of the receiver as a reference for paralleling the center of the receiver)
You are correct. I should've mentioned I decided to take a picture when I was half way done taking it off. My mistake

First thing you do when you suspect that a scope isn’t dialing properly is to shoot a few groups without touching the dials. If you’re shooting two inch groups you’re going to be dialing all over the place for no reason. Shoot 3-5 shots, make an adjustment, shoot 3-5 more etc. If you can’t get the group centered the scope may have some issue. If you’re shooting half inch groups and dialing a little moves it a lot, it could be the scope.

It’s also possible once you adjust too far up or right for the adjustment screw to loose contact with the erector tube, and it can settle very erratically after a shot inside the main tube. In this case there’s nothing actually wrong with the scope, it’s just out of adjustment, usually due to poor alignment of the receiver holes or bases and rings.
Thanks for the tips! Will work through that process. I bought a Vortex scope last summer so that VIP warranty might come in handy if I need a replacement.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back