Quota Hunts

xrayts

Missouri and Kentucky both have "quota hunt" drawings for certain areas that are typically restricted from hunting or would receive too much pressure if not limited (i.e. Sate Parks, NWR's, Military bases). Does anyone know if there are other non-western states doing the same thing? I would assume that most would have to, but the information is much harder to locate.

I'm going to add a list of links to states' "quota hunts". If you have any to add, just post it and I'll edit this post.
Kansas
Kentucky
Missouri
Oklahoma
Indiana
Virginia
Maryland
Tennessee
Arkansas

Last edited:
There's one back in Virginia on the Army's ammunition plant near Radford along the New River. There's some really nice deer on the base, but you're restricted to the stand they drop you off in. You're not allowed to get out for any reason until someone comes and picks you up. Oops - didn't see the "Midwest" part of the title. If you're up for a drive, it's a great place. Great smallie fishing on the New.

Last edited:
There are similar opportunities in Oklahoma for Elk, Antelope, Deer, Turkeys, etc.. go to www.wildlifedepartment.com and look for Controlled Hunts. Its at the bottm of the page below Hunting. Open to NR's justhave to buy a non refundabe license. I think the application fees ranges form $20 - $50 depending on species.

IN has quite a few of them. You must be a resident to apply for the state parks hunts though. Be sure to read the regs pretty carefully, the archery hunt I drew last year was for one day. Not sure I would make too far of a trip for that.

You're not allowed to get out for any reason until someone comes and picks you up.
That's kinda funny and scary.
I've noticed some of the best hunts are on military bases. Some of them hold their own drawings instead of being hadled by the state wildlife agency. "secret gems"
Thanks for the info.

There are similar opportunities in Oklahoma for Elk, Antelope, Deer, Turkeys, etc.. go to www.wildlifedepartment.com and look for Controlled Hunts. Its at the bottm of the page below Hunting. Open to NR's justhave to buy a non refundabe license. I think the application fees ranges form $20 - $50 depending on species.
I honestly hadn't even thought of OK. Not too far to drive, either.
Thanks

IN has quite a few of them. You must be a resident to apply for the state parks hunts though. Be sure to read the regs pretty carefully, the archery hunt I drew last year was for one day. Not sure I would make too far of a trip for that.

Do they even allow scouting prior to the hunt? A one day archery hunt sounds like disappointment waiting to happen. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
Kansas also has simiar opprotunities I believe. I hunted at a place called Cedar Bluffs and they had controlled hunts for certain areas of the WMA thet were reufges.

Just added several links to the states' pages for "quota hunts". They are in the original post.

Minnesota has a couple of these mainly around the metro area. I know of at least one WMA and a couple of state parks where you have to apply for a lottery to be able to hunt that land.

Some of the ones in IN do allow scouting prior to the hunt, but some on military reservation don't. The one I drew was for a National Wildlife Refuge, so one can go there anytime they want. They even have an open late season archery hunt. I think the draw for IN residents is that if you kill a buck on one of the reserved hunts it doesn't count towards your 1 buck a year limit.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back