Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Quick little jaunt

jryoung

Temps in CA dropped considerably yesterday and today so I tried to make the most of it and headed out to hunt a little patch of public land near the Bay Area. It was a long day, I left the truck at 4:45am and returned at 7:45 with a few blisters, cramping muscles and an unquenchable thirst for a beer.

The area is at the crest of the Diablo range, which translates to winds that could rival Wyoming when a cold front like this rolls in. There was no worry of overheating on the way in, the fog and wind raced from west to east. For contrast I've been in the same parking lot when it was 85 degrees at 4:45am. The oaks sucked the moisture right out of the air leaving "rain" underneath them. The normally sun drenched grass was soft and silent for the morning unit the fog broke and the sun reclaimed all moisture remaining on the flora.

I perched myself on a point with two smaller drainages to my right and left and a long main in front of me where the two intersected. I got to the parking lot about two hours early as it wasn't until 9 or so when the fog finally began to lift and I could start to see. I was hoping this turn in the weather would get the deer up and moving, but I think much of the wind kept them in the bottom of the drainages and on the leeward side.

I spotted a couple of does and a spike about 9:30, I tried to put a fork on him (to make him legal) so I could put a fork in him, but I had no luck. Throughout the day I spotted a couple other groups of does, but no bucks. The rut occurs early here and is just a couple of weeks off so I was hoping for an early sign or two.

I found one other buck later in the afternoon. I snuck right in on him in his afternoon bed, but unfortunately he saw me first and only gave me a brief tease. He appeared to be a spike again, but I never got that good of a look.

I made a big loop through the property, about 10 miles in all. It is heavily pressured, but everywhere you go there are deer, pig, coyote, bobcat and quail tracks. It's just an area where the weather and pressure turns them nocturnal so a good dose of luck is required. Even found poor little "Mr. No Shoulders" who did not appreciate the cold front. He had slightly more energy than me after plate number three on Thanksgiving.

It's a really pretty place. Golden sunbaked grasses contrasted by oak trees that keep the deer, pigs and squirrels fed. The winds yesterday kicked a lot of acorns off the trees and the acorns appeared to be in great numbers after a pretty wet winter. I'm hoping to get back out there for pigs in October and November if I can. The acorns should have them good and fattened up if I can get lucky and find one. The quest continues to fill a tag here.

Attachments

• IMG_20160912_180751.jpg
    IMG_20160912_180751.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 365
  • 20160912_065316.jpg
    20160912_065316.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 361
  • 20160912_164236.jpg
    20160912_164236.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,090
  • 20160912_160836.jpg
    20160912_160836.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 396
  • 20160912_104356.jpg
    20160912_104356.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,124
  • 20160912_102909.jpg
    20160912_102909.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,089
When I think of hunting deer in CA, I think of this habitat. Is there much public land opportunity in that type of terrain?

When I think of hunting deer in CA, I think of this habitat. Is there much public land opportunity in that type of terrain?

There is, this is a 5000 acre CA DFW property about an hour from my house. It gets a lot of pressure, but it always holds deer, there's some BLM land further south. Up north the Berryessa Snow Mountain National Monument has a lot of this terrain as well. Good fires up there recently too so I'd imagine the deer hunting is going to be fantastic over the next few years. A-Zone archery opens the second Saturday in July and runs for a month, general season opens the second Saturday in August and runs for 6 weeks....and you can buy two buck tags OTC!

The downside is it's usually hotter than shit!

Big Gopher snake.
Much of CA has oak hills like that,with little to no rain after March. Good PO thickets too.And it does get hot in the A-zone.

Diverse looking country jr...need rain badly?

This is the standard look for this time of year, drought or no drought....but yes, we need rain and more importantly a great winter of heavy snow. One of the things I love about living here is the incredible color change on the ground. This is what it looks like during turkey season, emerald, lush....and then it turns to gold.

20160319_123230.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back