Questions for state Reps. and Senator?

Returning_Wild

I signed the Sportsmen's Access Petition on the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership. Shortly After I was Emailed by Washington State Senator Jan Angel, Washington State Rep. Derek Kilmer and US Senator Patty Murray. Representative Kilmer's email was the only one that seemed Auto generated, infact I exchanged a few emails with Senator Angel and she informed me that herself, State Rep. Caldier and State Kilmer would be speaking in my town this Friday at noon and invited me to come speak with them. She informed me that the transfer of public lands here in W.A. had been brought up, her words were "I know this topic has come up at a couple of my national legislative conferences however I have not heard anything more on it here". Rather than wait for this topic to become an issue and dance around with it then, I'd prefer to just knock it out now. I plan on doing my homework/research so I don't just sound like a dumb hunter and unintentionally give any of us a bad name. What I am asking is, if anyone knows of or had any good links or facts I should look into to narrow my search; as I only really have 4 nights to sound like I know a lot about this topic other than the outcome if the lands are transferred. I've been following Randy Newberg and a few others on this topic so I have the gist of it, but i'd really like to have some good questions to at least ask. I'm not sure how involved or how long I will have but I would like to be ready just incase. Any input is appreciated, I just want to do my part! not just bitch about it!

"The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the descendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter".- Finn Aagard

I'd ask first and foremost for their commitment to oppose transfer to the states. If they won't commit to opposing the transfer, ask them to commit to advancing specific proposals and plans that show how they intend for the state to pay for oversight and management without selling public lands when the state can no longer afford management.

How will they pay for:

1. Fire suppression?
2. Road maintenance?
3. Defense against litigation from groups opposed to management decisions. ?
4. How will the state make up lost revenues from the loss of PILT( Payment in Lieu of Taxes) that the federal government pays?
5. How much will user fees such as grazing, logging and mining permits have to be raised in order for the state to pay for public land management?

If you haven't already watched these videos, I highly recommend watching the series that Randy is producing on this subject. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0XKOTE4e4w&feature=share

Thank you, those are great questions. I have been following Randy on YouTube and his podcast. I am going to look into it more, but I got an email from Sen. Cantwell and she informed me that the Transfer of Federal lands to State(S.Amdt. 838) was put up for a vote mar.27 2015 and passed the senate 51-49. She also informed me that on Dec. 18 2015 they Reauthorized The L.W.C.F. for another 3 years, I'm not sure what that does for S.Amdt. 838; but I will do all I can to speak up and make sure it doesn't happen.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back