Question about Yellowstone Park in Winter

Elkwhisper

Wondering if anyone has any advice..... My inlaws are coming here to MT from WA to visit in mid-February. They would like to see Yellowstone while they are here, but obviously February presents some challenges to making that happen.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to take them..... We could easily go in the Cody, Gardnier or West enterances (not sure which of those is even open). Would like to be able to show them at least a few critters, but they would love just the scenery as well. Also a place to spend a night would be great too. I already checked with Chico and they are all booked up.

Thoughts??

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Elkwhisper

A former co-worker did a guided (I think its required) snowmobile trip out of West Yellowstone a few years back and had a good time. FWIW.

My folks were just at cook city. They saw a lot of animals, sheep, elk, buff. I think they stayed at Chico

My boss did the snowmobile tour a couple years ago and he realy enjoyed it- I was kind of sruprised being he isn't the outdoor type of person.
To see Yellowstone in the winter, guided snowmobile is probably going to be your only chance... http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hours.htm

Depending on everyone's interest and the weather, the Buffalo Bill Museum might be an option. I think they are open Thursday through Sunday during the winter. Stay at the Irma Hotel, in Cody .

Grand Tetons and the National Elk Refuge might be an option - but may be a little too far.

Good Luck

I've done the snowmobile tour and it was lots of fun. They used to have snow coaches that you could sit 4-5 people in and take tours as well, that might be good for a family. As far as entertainment Cody is the best. Lots of stuff to do and see. Irma hotel is definelty a fun place to stay.

You don't need to do a tour unless you want to check out Old Faithful. If you drive through the Lamar Valley you won't have a problem seeing buffalo, elk, sheep (usually on the left just as you enter the park through Gardiner), and coyotes. I think I've only been in the park once during the winter and not seen a wolf. If you see a bunch of spotting scopes, it's a wolf. Most of the wolf geeks are good about letting you take a peek if you don't have one of your own. If you drive up to Cook City, you may run into a moose along the creek and I've spotted goats along the ridge south of the road. We usually stop and soak in the Boiling River on the way out. They also groom the road to Tower if you wanted to do a little skiing. Antelope winter on the west side of the Yellowstone River before you get to Gardiner. There's usually a bunch of elk hanging out around Dome Mountain (just before Yankee Jim Canyon) and there's occasionally some sheep trying to get runover on the side of the road just north of Gardiner. I hate driving Paradise Valley at night due to all the deer. Keep you're eyes open.

You could always check out the Mammoth hot springs on the north (Gardiner) entrance. You could either stay there in Mammoth http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/mammoth-hot-springs-hotel-cabins-95.html ) or there are quite a few spots in Gardiner that look good. Planning a trip down that way myself in Feb. gotta soak my bones in the warn waters.
We have been here during the Winter. Saw quite a few Elk, Bighorns and Antelope and you can stay in Gardner.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back