MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Proposed Owyhee National Monument

Should the greater Owyhee area in SE OR and SW ID be federally protected?

• Total voters

Irrelevant

I am a flip flopper and no longer support much actual protection. Maybe I've spent too much time in areas with too high of recreation, but I fear that all areas will eventually go that way. And to love something to death still means it dies.

I am a big fan of the Owyhees. I’m also a big fan of the protection that is already in place. I’d be for further expansion of the already extensive wilderness areas. The world will always need more protected wilderness.

I’m not a fan of the “don’t let this happen to…” bullshit scare tactic tagline straight out of the local news.

I'm probably in favor of it the one thing about Idaho's owyhee wilderness is that no matter how far in you go be prepared to see a 4 wheeler or motorcycle buzzing cross country chasing cows.

SEC. 3. LIMITED MOTORIZED USE FOR LIVESTOCK OPERATIONS.

(a) In General.--The holder of a grazing permit within the Pole
Creek Wilderness and the Owyhee River Wilderness designated by subtitle
F of title I of the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 (Public
Law 111-11; 123 Stat. 1032) (referred to in this section as the
``wilderness areas'') shall be allowed continued limited motorized use
in the wilderness areas to support livestock operations in accordance
with this section

I've hunted in there a lot, going back into the mid sixties. So remote, rough and inaccessible I'm not to worried about it. Except for ATVs.out law them. Not worried about regular vehicles, very little access really. I'd love to see them pull cattle out but don't tell anyone I said that.

I said No, but it is a No that comes from a place of ignorance so don't take it seriously.

-If I recall some of the discussions around Bears Ears, a place becoming a National Monument, though it "protects" it - it prohibits certain types of land management actions that may actually be beneficial to a place.
-I don't at all like the creation of National Monuments via Presidential use of the Antiquities Act.
-I am more amenable to congressional actions that make landscape level designations. I really like the Conservation Management Areas on the Rocky Mountain Front, or the Recreation Management Areas of Jon Tester's failed Forest Jobs and Recreation Act. Good protection, but flexible and still open to things Wilderness prohibits.
-The best way forward is a strong RMP. Just like Forest Plans, they can really protect chunks of earth, but also heavily involve The Public and their input - that last fact being quite important in the long run, and for the conservation movement in general.

I’m also not a fan of the unilateral Presidential designations. And I’m not sure wilderness designation actually protects from many of the threats described. Seems like protections can and should be tailored to these unique areas. I suppose then it’s easier to dismantle those protections though.

Not sure what the answer is, but seems like a place that should stay wild and remote.

I said No, but it is a No that comes from a place of ignorance so don't take it seriously.

-If I recall some of the discussions around Bears Ears, a place becoming a National Monument, though it "protects" it - it prohibits certain types of land management actions that may actually be beneficial to a place.
-I don't at all like the creation of National Monuments via Presidential use of the Antiquities Act.
-I am more amenable to congressional actions that make landscape level designations. I really like the Conservation Management Areas on the Rocky Mountain Front, or the Recreation Management Areas of Jon Tester's failed Forest Jobs and Recreation Act. Good protection, but flexible and still open to things Wilderness prohibits.
-The best way forward is a strong RMP. Just like Forest Plans, they can really protect chunks of earth, but also heavily involve The Public and their input - that last fact being quite important in the long run, and for the conservation movement in general.

I'll agree with all of your comments, and am not well versed on the foundation that allowed it, but the managers of the Cascade- Siskiyous National Monument have done some great things around grazing, and I'm sceptical that most BLM/ USFS RMP's could survive such bold changes.

The monument status absolutely hinders thinning projects though. I'm not a fan of this type of executive order, but I'm also not a fan of chronic congressional inaction, so I'm torn on how to respond to the poll.

I’d be for further expansion of the already extensive wilderness areas. The world will always need more protected wilderness.
I used to be too. But anymore I'm less so.

How many people have even heard about the Owyhee before people tried to "seek protection"?

How many People have heard about the Red Desert until Pataguchi "tried to save it from development?"

You can find a ton of people, people who actually live and recreate in the Bears Ear, that hated the designation for the spotlight it put on a place.

I feel like anyone who's been to Moab can see that just because a place is remote today. Doesn't mean shit about tomorrow.

I guess I'm jaded. I live around areas that have the highest level of "protection" and yet have been absolutely destroyed by people, and there isn't a damn thing anyone will ever do about it. That's one reason why I really like the AP(R), less national press coverage.

How many people have even heard about the Owyhee before people tried to "seek protection"?

How many People have heard about the Red Desert until Pataguchi "tried to save it from development?"

You can find a ton of people, people who actually live and recreate in the Bears Ear, that hated the designation for the spotlight it put on a place.

I feel like anyone who's been to Moab can see that just because a place is remote today. Doesn't mean shit about tomorrow.

I guess I'm jaded. I live around areas that have the highest level of "protection" and yet have been absolutely destroyed by people, and there isn't a damn thing anyone will ever do about it. That's one reason why I really like the AP(R), less national press coverage.

If you build it they will come.

There are certainly some tarnished wilderness areas adjacent to these recreation meccas.

Another one of those conflicts for me. We have some really nice Wilderness zones in Oregon that get little usage.

Some places outside of Bend get absolutely hammered though.

Must have missed this Neffa.

We watched that, don't have a dog in the fight yet but 20 years a cop taught me how to read liars. Had I been investigating that woman for something I would have hooked her up, booked her and been done in about 15 minutes. She exhibited every textbook symptom of lying.

No I saw it, someone posted on here. But I've yet to meet anyone that's actually heard of it.

I also don't know anyone old enough to watch 60 minutes.
Heard of it?!!! If you mean American Prairie, you must have been asleep. HT thread long discussions right hear on your internet dial.
I've been there, camped there, hiked there, and support American Prairie. Also am acquainted with one of the board members, a true Montanan who grew up in Rudyard, MT.
He describes the factual information that refutes the actual lies being spread by opponents of American Prairie.

Hello ... I'm one of the old guys who watches 60 Minutes, but with some healthy skepticism. Howefer, AP is the real deal and you should be glad if you are an advocate of wild animals and wild places.

We watched that, don't have a dog in the fight yet but 20 years a cop taught me how to read liars. Had I been investigating that woman for something I would have hooked her up, booked her and been done in about 15 minutes. She exhibited every textbook symptom of lying.
There were 2 different women being interviewed. Which one are you referring too?

These are all examples of "Loving a Place to Death". I'd hate to see that happen to the OYE country.

Heard of it?!!! If you mean American Prairie, you must have been asleep. HT thread long discussions right hear on your internet dial.
I've been there, camped there, hiked there, and support American Prairie. Also am acquainted with one of the board members, a true Montanan who grew up in Rudyard, MT.
He describes the factual information that refutes the actual lies being spread by opponents of American Prairie.

Hello ... I'm one of the old guys who watches 60 Minutes, but with some healthy skepticism. Howefer, AP is the real deal and you should be glad if you are an advocate of wild animals and wild places.
I think you misunderstood my post.

I've know plenty about the AP and have visited several times, donate annually. My point is, even with the 60 Minutes blub, every one I personally meet in life here in WA (not here on the interwebs) has never heard of the AP or what they're trying to put together. But EVERYONE knows about the Owyhee and the Red Desert, two lonely places that "conservation" groups are trying to "Save". I think it's because Instagram, FB, conservation podcasts, NRS blog, all the River trip/rat scene, all the trailrunners etc, are all sharing and promoting the message that we need to save these two deserts areas, and not mentioning the AP, maybe because it's not a public entity. I really don't know. But in the grand scheme of social media marketing the AP is still unheard of compared to those other two.

I wish no one knew of any of them. Because eventually everyone will know about all of them.

Back