Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

propane grill died...pellet grill?

Just purchased a Traeger a few weeks back, our propane grill had died a couple years back, we have been using the charcoal grill in between.

So far I really like the Traeger, we went with a cheaper model, so no WiFI, touch screen, or foot massagers.

It is less of a grill, and more of an outdoor wood fired convection oven. once that is understood, you can begin liking it. If you think you’ll get a quick flaming sear on meat, you’ll be disappointed.

I’ve done low and slow, and cooked quite a bit on high. Less smoke on high, more with the temps low. Elk loin and prawns last night, gonna be trying a leg of lamb tomorrow.

I run both. Love my gas for quick preheat high temp cooks. That being said the pellet grill is a game changer for slow cooks/smokes, outdoor wood roasting/baking, and introducing wood/smoke flavor in general. It depends whether you value hot and fast more, or set it and forget it.

I’ve had a Recteq pellet grill for 4 years now and love the thing. Could never go back to solely having a propane grill although I still use my Weber from time to time.

Like others have mentioned, everything just tastes better on a pellet grill. You’d be crazy to not go with a pellet grill IMHO.

thanks guys,
Gerald I really want to get one of the Komato grills too.
3ccv9v6l2y551.jpg
I prefer Mango White Claws thank you :LOL:

Last edited:
I can blow torch a steak in the Pit Boss in minutes and it’s not bad. Steaks usually get the natty gas grill. I like the dial and doze of the Pit but it doesn’t do what a firebox smoke draft set up does.

Went through this a month ago. My gas grill gave it up after many, many steaks and burgers. My buddy has been hounding me about not having a smoker so I started looking at Tragger. That is right up to the point I found out that they are made in China. I ended up with a Pit Boss. (not made in USA but Canada will work) In just over a month I've burned through an entire bag of pellets. This thing has brought back life to my cooking. No longer does the wife say is it done yet. Now she's telling me to slow that sucker down so we get more smoke flavor. I've done the usual steaks, burgers, brats, and also experimenting with brisket, short ribs, and jerky... Oh the jerky!
Do it. You and the fam wont be disappointed.

I sell both and can tell you while I like pellets and propane...its really hard to beat a Broilmaster gas grill. You can sear, slow cook, and hold even temperatures on those cold winter nights. If I am smoking meat, I am all in with pellets. Otherwise, just give me a Broilmaster and I can deliver meat at the proper temperature every time.

The Broilmaster grill at my beach house is at least 20 years old. A customer came in who “had to have a new one”. I explained his was very fixable however he was there to buy. A quick spray coat of paint and a new burner and that thing is still cooking like the day it was made.

If you are trying to talk yourself into a more expensive grill, take the cost and divide it by the proposed years of service. A good one will last a long long time.

Got Traeger for the cabin. Really like it for everything except good steaks. I like the super hot sear 2 minutes a side approach to good steaks and most of these wood pellet grills just don't get hot enough for that.

I know there are a billion threads but I gotta ask again...Last night my 12 year old el cheapo grill died. Replacement parts do not exist and it's time to send it out to pasture. I grill 2-3 times a week. Often just a single burger or pork chop so a propane grill has worked very well for me. I have an electric smoker that requires me to feed it chips which is probably why it doesn't get used much. I think my small electric smoker will smoke at lower temps so it still has a purpose.

Strongly considering a Pit Boss based on price and the open flame option to actually grill. I'm thinking Pit Boss Austin XL 1000 (Walmart version). I'm not married to this brand or model so if there is a proven grill feel free to share. I don't think I need proprietary apps but have considered the Green Mountain wifi or the Camp Chef wifi (I get pro deals but they are out of stock of the bigger grills). Also considered Z-grills but they look a bit cheap.

Thoughts?

I have a pellet grill and absolutely love it. Mine is about 8 years old now and they have come a very long way! If I could (wife says I have to many toys already) I would have a gas grill also. Sometimes is just easier to cook burgers, fajitas and steaks on. But if I had to pick, I would go pellet.

Following for a similar purchase consideration. I’ve currently got a propane grill and the old Weber kettle charcoal grill (which I hardly use). I was considering a straight smoker, but now I’m considering a multi-use more versatile (pellet) grill/smoker.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back