Caribou Gear Tarp

Proof positive of STUPID people with money......

Making your cast smooth as a baby's butt isn't the best idea though and part of the flaw in a few of them. You need the rough porous surface to get solid even heat to your food. With a steak or chop for example, if you have a smooth cast, will bubble up in the middle and only the outside of your meat will be in direct contact. The pores also help hold those fats and juices for the next time you fire it up. Part of what makes cooking with cast so good, seasoning of the pan gets better with age.

Wow, sold out too. Those are made by a US company called Butter Pat Industries, whose skillets seem like a more affordable $300.

Making your cast smooth as a baby's butt isn't the best idea though and part of the flaw in a few of them. You need the rough porous surface to get solid even heat to your food. With a steak or chop for example, if you have a smooth cast, will bubble up in the middle and only the outside of your meat will be in direct contact. The pores also help hold those fats and juices for the next time you fire it up. Part of what makes cooking with cast so good, seasoning of the pan gets better with age.
I guess then they should be shot-peened after polishing to get a precise rough texture. It would also stress relieve any potentially weak areas.

Somebody knows what they're talking about. Cook on it a few times and the roughness "problem" won't be a problem at all.

Somebody knows what they're talking about. Cook on it a few times and the roughness "problem" won't be a problem at all.

Disagree, one of the reasons the rough ones cook better after being well-seasoned is that the texture gets smoother as the seasoning fills in. I have a couple vintage pans from my wife's great grandma that are glass smooth, top and bottom, they cook far better than textured pans. Inexpensive pans like Lodge are just rough because they are sand-cast quickly and cheaply.

This is from the guy who is making the Yeti pans:

You can get an antique #14 Griswold for around $400, which is quite collectible and increasing in value, lighter, and smoother…better in every way. For the love of god no one should buy this thing.
I'll stick with my pre Griswold Erie pans. Got several handed down through the generations.
Those Eries were smooth for a reason, and that's back when all the common household had was cast iron to go over a wood burner.

Do you cook with cast iron? They are not all the same
Yeah I know….just messing around! Sometimes you have to laugh at the ridiculousness of these companies with the high prices! I mean 400$…🙄!
If I didn’t have any I’d go to estate sales and look for some grandmas skillet she had cooked in for 50 years! I’ll bet 400 bucks would buy a box full of those! I have my grandma’s on my counter right now…use them almost daily.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back