Caribou Gear Tarp

Pronghorns and Muleys vs Whitetails

opslt79

I'm getting set for the Oct. 1 rifle season for antelope and deer in N/E Wyoming. This trip starts with a 1400 mile drive from central Ohio. Every year we run into some of the locals that go crazy over whitetails but wouldn't walk across the street to shoot a pronghorn. I even talked to a rancher that passed on a chance to chase bugling bulls with a bow, so he could sit in a treestand waiting on a whitetail buck.:confused: If you had your preference, which would you go after?

I'm fortunate to live in a state where I can hunt Elk, lopes, mulies and whitetails. I haven't gone after whitetails yet, but will soon. Mulies probably interest me most, but antelope is a close second.

I'd have to say elk first, then whitetail, muley, and I've never been antelope hunting, I just haven't gotten into it, maybe someday I will try it out. I usually am into upland game as soon as I'm done with elk season and don't look back.

We must suffer from the same sickness; I've had a pair of 3x3 whitetails walk down my driveway in the middle of the day and I'll be driving 2000 miles to N.E. Wyo same as you for the Oct. opener. Guess it's the old "greener grass" thing.

They are all at the top of my list. So I do them all! When I get back from New Mexico I will let you know cause it might be elk!!!! Praying for a smoker.....

Good Luck on your hunts in Northeast Wyoming. I have hunted that area about 6 years, however, I have skipped the last two years. Deer numbers have been way down. Where I usually I saw 200 - 300 deer in the field the last few years have only yielded, maybe, 40 per field.

Some speculate leukosis has hit the herd bad. Others say Cats have scared the deer out of the area.

Love to hear what you guys have been seeing the last few years.

good luck to all
the dog

Whiteys are last on my list also...but still in second place.

...think I need to augment my list.

I am heading to eastern Wy this year for lopes too. Right now this year lopes are the most important on my list then whitetail.Ive been shooting whitetail since I could hunt and the oct 1st time is kinda slow around here for whitetail.Come the end of oct and begining of nov I will be thinking more about the whities.I will be hunting the bow opener here for whitetail on sept 18th that time of the year can be pretty good hunting.

I'll take elk first over anything. Mule deer are also a far superior animal to a whitetail.

I've got a temporary fill of Pronghorns and young Mulies, and sometime back got into a couple really nice Whitetails as well as a bear and more. For me I'm about back to elk and mulies again but now it's that I'm looking for a trophy Muley and really nice Bull Elk.

If you would have asked me before last year, I would have said whitetails. Then I experienced buggling bulls last fall, which was absolutely insane. Then I shot a decent muley and was focused on getting a really nice one this year. However, I found some giant whitetails on the river a few weeks ago and can't get my mind off of them. THEN, I went antelope hunting for the first time two days ago and now I'm hooked on them. So basically it just depends what day of the week it is.

Yep! I've noticed that over the years also. All it takes is seeing or hearing one, or even reading or watching a yarn about one on TV and I'm fickle and change my mind!

Honestly, what ever I have a tag for.

I spend more time hunting whitetail than anything, but I think that's more because of where I live, and the opportunities I have, than anything else.

I think spring bear is my favorite hunt of the year though, it's nice having the woods to yourself, and the weather's awesome.

I would go pronghorn, either an awsome muley or whitetail I lean towards muleys though and elk last which would probly be different if I lived in the mountains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back