Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Pronghorn hunting and the rabbit "cycle"...

bigdonniebrasco

Each year I travel to the northeast/east central part of WY for pronghorn, and always plan on trying to get some "camp meat" in the form of a rabbit or 2.

I have always heard that cottontail rabbits have a boom/bust cycle. Every year that I hunt pronghorn in the east central area of WY I buy a small game license so I can shoot some rabbits. Well so far, in three years I have yet to even SEE a single rabbit!

I know there are some areas where I hunt that historically have a ridiculous amount of rabbits, anyone have any insight? I would like to buy a small game license but I hate to keep wasting my money.

Thanks!

Don

We saw a ton of rabbits when we hunted near Douglas in 2015 and 2016. The land owner said that some years you have to kick them off the picnic table before you can sit down. He said the numbers were down in 15 and 16 so I can't imagine what it's like when the numbers are up!

Thanks! I think I will keep buying the small game license, just in case. With as green as it's been this summer in places, maybe this will be a good year for pronghorn AND bunnies!

No problem! I think I may have to pick up a small game license as well!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MachineSub GN 4576225912G
Back