Pronghorn help

6x6archeryelk

I froze my antelope in August waiting until i decided what to do with it. We decided we wanted a european mount. I've got it all skinned and ready to boil. Does anyone have any idea how to remove the horns without damage? They should be removed prior to boiling to avoid messing them up right? Any advise would be great. Thanx

Advice from my taxidermist worked: Boil, but only submerge the horn half way up, this will seperate the horn from the core without harming the tips. The horns didn't take long to slip off, then I cleaned out the flesh inside the horn followed by placing clothes-pins around the base of the horn until they were totally dry. If you don't use the clothes-pins, as the horn dries, it will curl out around the base. It's a stinky job... have fun...

Good advice was given. I usually submerge mine in water that is just slightly below boiling hot or mildly boiling. Check the horns every couple minutes until they're soft enough to pull off the cores. When you pull them off sometimes the membrane between the core and the sheath will be stuck to the sheath, make sure you pull that either out of the sheath or remove it from the core. Let the sheaths dry completely before you reattach them.

The clothes pins are a great idea...I'll have to try that.

To reattach the horns to the skull, use bondo mixed pretty hot. Make sure you cut off any excess bondo before it fully kicks or you'll be sorry.

The last thing I do is spray wd-40 on a rag and wipe the horns down with it. It removes dirt and cleans them up. They look real shinny at first, but they dull back up in a couple days and gives them a nice clean look.

Microwave works fast. I use linseed oil to finish the horns with. It blackens them up nice without a "painted" look.

I don't dry the sheaths out completely before putting them back on unless it is for the books. Then you have to.

How long do you put them in the microwave? Is it better to boil the lower skull firstor just put the whole thing in there?

try this

If you put them in hot water they will curl and shrink. So here is another way you can do it. Put the whole skull in a black garbage bag tie it off and put where it is warm (not in your house) they will start to get loose after about three or four days. Don't open the bag but grab the horns and twist them, Then when they feel loose enough to get off then open the bag, Its not going to smell good but it works. after getting them of wash them of inside and out with soap and water. Let dry and spray WD40 all over them this will keep them from drying out and shrinking on you.... Good luck Have fun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back