Pronghorn Facts

In a small herd, one of them is ALWAYS dialed into you. Even if the buck you’re trying to shoot seems like he could care less. Then they intentionally wait until you are fully setup and ready to pull the trigger before they bust out like someone just threw a hand grenade in the middle of them
I feel like they are the only animal I've hunted that intentionally tries to f with my head, I swear they pretend they don't see you and then when you go out of sight to sneak in they drive away just out of range and when you pop out they're half a mile away.

Also saw some run onto private property, no fence, as soon as they crossed onto private they stopped running and gave me the f u saunter.

I would bet a couple paychecks that they can exceed 55 mph. I've personally clocked them over 60. I've long believed that with the proper motivation (i.e. being chased by a cheetah), you would actually find that the pronghorn is in fact the world's fastest land animal.
Yeah, I have clocked them at 60 while they were running parallel to my truck. And they make it look effortless!

Pronghorn have a unique anatomical arrangement of their circulatory system that allows them to use countercurrent exchange to dissipate heat, and also allows them to differentially cool the brain vs the body. That’s one of the adaptations that helps them manage the body heat generated during intense running.

The bucks can be really really stupid when horny.
Wrong thread. That should be filed under “Male Facts” 😉

• Multiple subspecies, Sonoran pronghorn, Mexican pronghorn, Oregon pronghorn, and Baja California Pronghorn

Doesn't appear to be a lot of information on the differentiating characteristics between these floating around out there- anyone observed regional differences between Pronghorn populations?

My understanding is that they're all able to jump over most fences but that the shock of landing isn't good for their knees and that's why they avoid it. I can't remember where I picked that idea up.

I'll also add that I've read arguments disputing the cheetah theory, but I can't remember exactly how they're made. Has to do with the time periods each species evolved over. A bit complex.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back