Caribou Gear

Pronghorn cartridge in 6mm

Knight.54

On the shores of the Graveyard of the Atlantic
I’m going to put together a rifle for pronghorn hunting. I reload but still consider myself a novice. I’ve got lighter rifles for mountain hunting. My .338, 300 weatherby and .280 rem fill almost all my practical needs.
But being a gun nut isn’t always about being practical.
Since this isn’t something I’ll tote to the ends of the earth a slightly longer barrel is acceptable. And I’m sure the scope will be on the higher magnification side. I’m considering the .240 weatherby, 6mm rem or 6mm Creedmoor.
I know you guys know more than me....give me some input please....

If it’s a custom rig and you reload, I’d do a 6mm Rem, or 6Rem AI and a 28”+ barrel. If you don’t reload, and don’t wanna go custom, I’d lean toward a 6CM. It’ll come with a tight twist from the factory.

Nothing wrong with the easy route either though. .243Win.

If it’s a custom rig and you reload, I’d do a 6mm Rem, or 6Rem AI and a 28”+ barrel. If you don’t reload, and don’t wanna go custom, I’d lean toward a 6CM. It’ll come with a tight twist from the factory.

Nothing wrong with the easy route either though. .243Win.
I wasn’t aware of the 6mm ai... I’ll be looking into that.... I’ve read 6mm gives the handloader more options insofaras bullet length and seating depth...

Buddy of mine has a 6XC, and another buddy has a 6mm Dasher. I don't know the advantages to either of these rounds, if there are any, but they're a couple options.

I wasn’t aware of the 6mm ai... I’ll be looking into that.... I’ve read 6mm gives the handloader more options insofaras bullet length and seating depth...
Only if your magazine length is suited to it.

There are a pile of 6mm rounds out there and a lot of them are very similar so brass availability is about the only thing I'd really worry about.

If you're going big all copper from Hammer bullets be sure to call Steve first because he will lead you to the right bullet. The 101s and the 110s may be too long for a specific cartridge.

E tips or ttsx... I haven’t used hammers but I’ll be looking into them too, probably the heavier end of the available spectrum.
I have killed well over a hundred deer with a 6mm Remington. I really like that cartridge for deer and antelope. That being said, if you want to go that route, get it in a longer action, to allow for seating the longer bullets easier. You will not need the heavy end of the spectrum with the coppers, if you are just going to shoot antelope with it. Personally, I would not use the coppers, as the penetration is not necessary. I would get a long action, 1/8 twist barrel 24-26 inches long, and shoot the 100+ grain ELDM wind buckers.

Or, like others have said, look real hard at the 6.5 prc. 6.5 bullets rock.

I don't know what your budget is, but a Tikka CTR in .243 would fit the bill for relatively little money. Mag length to spare, 8 twist, heavy but huntable, threaded muzzle and very serviceable stock from the factory. Put a demo Bushnell DMR or LRTS on there for $750-$900, I like ARC rings, and you're pretty well set up for steel ringing up to a mile for +- $1800. Lots of ways to skin a cat though.

If you're planning on cranking turrets a bunch don't buy a scope where they're an afterthought, it's a low odds gamble IMO.

I’m going to put together a rifle for pronghorn hunting. I reload but still consider myself a novice. I’ve got lighter rifles for mountain hunting. My .338, 300 weatherby and .280 rem fill almost all my practical needs.
But being a gun nut isn’t always about being practical.
Since this isn’t something I’ll tote to the ends of the earth a slightly longer barrel is acceptable. And I’m sure the scope will be on the higher magnification side. I’m considering the .240 weatherby, 6mm rem or 6mm Creedmoor.
I know you guys know more than me....give me some input please....

If the .243 is in the running, I'd take a hard look at the Kimber Hunter.

I'd say the .240 would be out because of cost of ammo. I know you reload but so do I and I probably wouldn't do it for that round. Of the 3 you listed, I'd pick the 6mm CM.

Here you go! Ready for 2020 season.😃

If going 6mm I’d twist it 7.5 or even 7 if wanting to shoot heavy mono.

Speaking of brass, if your'e being picky on this gun for loads and long distance plinking/hunting I'd look hard at how easy good brass is to get or make for your chambering. If making, you brass may need further attention (neck turning, etc.), which I have no interest in personally.

Killed my 2 doe antelope this year with my 6mm Creedmoor shooting the 105 Berger Hydrids. Built the gun for a LR Coyote Rig and it did the job just fine.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back