Processing time

Tyler1215

Hello. Just thinking about my trip to Wyoming this fall and trying to get everything figured out. We will be hunting in 32 and I was wondering if any of the meat processing places in Casper offer quick turn around times? As in like 24 hours? Normally I would do it myself but with multiple tags to fill and fish to catch i think I would rather save the time. Also, would any of the game processing businesses also cap it for me?

I don’t know about Casper, but my experience in general with processors is that during peak hunting season they are swamped and there is no such thing as “quick” turnaround.

Maybe not the response you are looking for, but caping is not difficult. I watched 2 YouTube videos then cut my first cape last year and it looked just fine.

Also, some processors you can drop off your carcass and they’ll mail you the meat when they get it done (ask in advance).

Best option IMHO: Quickly cut the meat off the bones (gutless method), cool it down, and put it on lots of ice in a huge cooler. Meat will stay fresh for quite a long time, allowing you to recreate and add to the cooler as you get other animals and fish. You can bring it to the processor or just

If it’s hot, your running a risk of spoiling your meat by hauling a carcass around, even for several hours, as antelope is not as forgiving as other game.

Or bring a freezer and freeze your own meat.

When you drop off at the processor let them know you are from out of town. They will usually ask when you will be leaving. If you're willing to pay an extra processing fee (the last couple of years it has been $50 for us) they will have it done by the time you are ready to leave town. Stop at Walmart and get some dry ice to put in your cooler, then start your journey. The meat should still be frozen solid when you get home.

If you're driving, just bone them, bag them, and put them on ice. I've had pronghorn in the cooler for 7 days like this before I got home and processed them. Just drain the water and add ice as needed.

If you're driving, just bone them, bag them, and put them on ice. I've had pronghorn in the cooler for 7 days like this before I got home and processed them. Just drain the water and add ice as needed.
This is what I do and have done it about the same amount of time. If you can, build an insert in the cooler (I use PVC pipe) to keep the meat off the bottom so it doesn't sit in the melted water.

Where are you driving back to? I know a few processors that can turn around an antelope overnight and have it partially frozen the next morning. None in Casper proper though.

I've seen some guys mention keeping the water drained off. They are spot on. We have guys that don't keep it drained off and when you go to hang their game in the aging cooler for a few days, it gets slimy in a hurry if it was sitting in water awhile before hand

i know one that will always do at least a weekend and has told me can do a 24 hr turnaround - for a price obviously. also not in casper though

i should note that has always been before general elk kicks in that they've told me that

Yellowstone Meat Processing in Casper will do a good job for you. They , I believe, charge extra for next day pickup. Also will cape your animal, again for an extra fee, as do most processors.

Yellowstone has been my favorite processor for a few years now, but I have had good work done by Dan's also. Pat's is a favorite of some other fellows. All of them are good and will do a rush job for next day pickup. Expect to pay the extra fee for the rush service.

Yellowstone is out by the airport, Dan's is on the East edge of Casper, and Pat's is just off of Poison Spider Road.

What about processors that simply hang the carcass for you for a few days? Im going to be in the area for 10 days and would love to not have to worry about ice every couple days. Do they provide this service?

What about processors that simply hang the carcass for you for a few days? Im going to be in the area for 10 days and would love to not have to worry about ice every couple days. Do they provide this service?

Not that I'm aware of. I've seen both Pat's and Yellowstone have to turn away customers because they were full/at capacity.

This is what I do and have done it about the same amount of time. If you can, build an insert in the cooler (I use PVC pipe) to keep the meat off the bottom so it doesn't sit in the melted water.
You can also use frozen bottles of water instead of ice. I freeze them at home before the trip and load up each 70qt yeti with about 20 frozen bottles. This serves to precondition the cooler, but it’s also a way to keep things cold without getting things wet. Added bonus is that you can refreeze and recycle them, or you can drink some good cold water from the cooler during your trip. Once I fill the cooler with meat, I tend to put the frozen bottles on top since the cold air descends to the bottom of the cooler. If you put them on the bottom and none on top, you’ll notice that whatever is on top will not be very cold. If I limit opening the cooler during the trip, the bottles will tend to stay frozen for 5-7 days.

Thanks for all the replies. I will be coming from Arizona. Cant wait for this adventure and appreciate all the input

Back