Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Primers Coming Out??

worm

I was sighting in my wife's 6.5 Creedmoor today and two of the primers was removed from the brass after ejecting the brass. Can anybody tell me why. I've never had this issue before.

Attachments

• 2014-08-08 12.08.45.jpg
    2014-08-08 12.08.45.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 349
You have pressure problems. Were you shooting factoy ammo or reloads.

Last edited:
I've had that happen with some factory (bronze point) remington ammo for my 30-06 10 years ago. Seems I couldn't get them to group very well either. I wondered if the primers never seated tight but pressure issues seems logical as well.

I've had that happen with some factory (bronze point) remington ammo for my 30-06 10 years ago. Seems I couldn't get them to group very well either. I wondered if the primers never seated tight but pressure issues seems logical as well.

The ejector marks scream out pressure, as in too much.

The superformance stuff like the 6.5 creedmoor loads are temp. sensitive. Added to that it might be a tight chamber. What was the air temp when you were shooting?

Agreed on contacting Hornady. They're good folks and should help isolate the issue.

this has been happening a lot with superperformance. there is nothing to isolate; it is over pressure, stop shooting hornady ammo and go with a different brand that when brass is ejected looks like it should. call hornady and try to have them swap it out for a different load without the superperformance powder if they offer one. not all guns can handle it, yours cant and you want to stop trying before you hurt yourself or your wife does.

If you've shot this ammo before without issue, something has caused the pressure spike to rise faster and farther than usual. First thing that comes mind is a dirty bore. Next is temperature. Was the rifle and or the ammo sitting in the sun for a while before you shot it? Other than that, find some good hand loads that you can control the pressure better.

Air temp was 78F. I've shot one box thru it already and this was the 4th and 5th out of the second. Cleaned every time after shooting so the bore was clean prior to shooting today. I've got an email sent to Hornady with the same picture attached. I will wait and see. Accuracy has not been an issue thou. I've been pretty impressed with the accuracy so far.

I'd check the throat of the chamber. Maybe you're getting carbon buildup that is creating an artificial headspace issue?

I have seen and heard about it quite a bit with Hornady Superformance.

You are going to need different ammo, do you reload?

What rifle does she have?

Last edited:
I wondered if the primers never seated tight but pressure issues seems logical as well.

Unlikely. In the firing sequence, the primer is actually pushed forward by the firing pin. It can then be unseated by the expanding gas pushing it out backwards through the flash hole. The primer stops as it hits the bolt face. It is then reseated as the case itself is shoved back against the bolt face. All happens in a few ten thousandths of a second.

He just has a regular pressure problem.

Emrah

As others have mentioned, those loads are dangerously over pressured. I wouldn't shoot another out of that lot.

I don't reload. It's a Savage 11 Lady Hunter and she will agree with everyone that I do have pressure problems. I'm sourcing new ammo. Leaning towards Nosler Premiums. Thanks for all of the comments.

I think that Hornady is messed up with that Supercrap load. They are worrying much more about marketing a speed ball, than they are keeping it safe. A friend of mine shot some factory Supercrap from a 6.5 Creed at a 50-yard target. The bullets hit the target in three pieces. Those cruddy SST bullets were spinning apart.

I like Hornady stuff over all and always like to support a Nebraska company. I have shot Interlocks for years, but they need to regroup on some of their stuff. You could not give me any Superformance, or SST bullets for that matter. For deer and antelope, I will still shoot 139 Interlocks, but for anything bigger, it will be Partitions or Accubonds all the way.

Worm, How was the timing between shots? Did you shoot fast enough to over heat the rifle? Metal expands when it gets hot and that can cause headspace issues.. Just one more thing to think about..

Back