Preferred 300WM round

Shot the 180 Nosler Partition and AB for years but last few I have switched to the 190 grain AB. They will all do fine if you do your part.

My favorite round for the 300 win mag is the one I don't have to shoot cause I'm a sissy :)

Last edited:
My favorite round for the 300 win mag is the one I don't have to shoot cause I'm a sissy :)
I’ve never found the 300wm to be near as bad as everyone says. And I’m not big by any stretch, I usually weigh in around 155. I can sit behind mine all day long and not feel sore at all, have I been missing something?

I’ve never found the 300wm to be near as bad as everyone says. And I’m not big by any stretch, I usually weigh in around 155. I can sit behind mine all day long and not feel sore at all, have I been missing something?
It's all about rifle fit.

Get this ammo if you don't reload...buy all of what they have today (4 boxes as of 1pm 3/17) and they knock an extra 15% off

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosl...n-mag-180-grain-lead-free-ammo-blem-20ct.html

These are gone so if the OP didn't get some he probably should watch for more later

I'd say you couldn't go wrong with Accubonds. A friend of mine uses 180grn TTSX in his with significantly good results. I haven't used a magnum for a few years, but I always used 180gn Hornady Interlocks - they worked as well as anything I've ever seen.

It's all about rifle fit.

These are gone so if the OP didn't get some he probably should watch for more later
You're probably right. I shoot magnum turkey loads and my muzzleloader has quite a bit of kick too with 100 grains of powder. I don't mid the recoil on those. But the 300 I had was brutal to shoot.

My buddy has a 270 that kicks like a mule too compared to other 270s I've shot. I think it's a combination of fit and rifle weight in that case. That's all I'll say though so I don't take the thread further off topic.

I'm a big fan of the 175 gr Barnes LRX, hand loading the 175's under 73.5 gr Re 22 and get great velocity and even better groups! I switched from the 180 gr Berger Hybrid's, the Berger's fly great but i think are too frangible, i like the weight retention of the Barnes much better when chasing Elk!

I think the vast majority of 300WM owners will tell you that a 180-220gr. bullet is optimum for the cartridge. Personally my rifle likes the 175gr LRX and or 180gr. TTSX with IMR 4831 behind it. I haven't tinkered with anything heavier only because using a mono-metal bullet holds together pretty well and acts like a heavier bullet made of lead and copper. So I get the deep penetration most hunters are looking for and I get the accuracy too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back