Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Practicing

Funter

When do you start getting ready and making sure your gun or bow is set the way you want it? Working up new loads?

I like to work on mine in the spring before it gets too hot. Archery I will do all summer long ,indooors.

Funter

I havent worked up a new load in about 8 years. all my rifles are set up and I still have tons of ammo left. SInce I never change any of my loads I dont have a problem.

I do however take the rifle I am going to use out and pop a shot or 2 off to double check my scopes( usually a few days before I leave for the hunt). I havent had to change my scope settings in years on any of my rilfes.

my bow I just shoot when I get some time. pretty much the same way with my rifles.

If I make any changes with a rifle, I'll start on any windless days in January and get it done with early.

I really use one rifle and use it all year long. I shoot at things when out riding in our pastures such as coyotes, skunks, whatever. It is great practice. In my opinion, being accurate while hunting is as much a matter of confidence as skill. You get confidence through practice.

Funter:

I practice the year around. Maybe not as much as rufus and chambrero. But I don't wait until the last minute either. I've been to the range a couple of times since Christmas. This weekend, I will take my rifle along on a trip to the mountains. You never know what opportunity might present itself. :evilgrin:

KC

Year round but pleasant calm days in the spring and fall are my favorite. I enjoy tinkering with the equipment and shooting...and don't even mind the cleaning. I get serious in the fall and try to have my primary and backups in top shape by October 1.

I like picking cloudy cool days in the spring when its chilly enough (usually early morn.) to see where you are hitting the target with the spotting scope. As soon as the heat waves come along its time to shoot some 4 litre milk jugs filled with water from 300 to 400 yards. They blow up on impact, so no need to check with the spotting scope.

I do the same as DELW. All my loads are the same. Haven't changed them in at least 10 years. I reload my .06 with one load, my 30-30 with one load and my 50 cal. black power with one load. Usually take them out a couple of times in the summer to practice. Then in late August the rifle type that I drew for gets a little extra practice and off we go. I haven't adjusted a scope significantly on any of my rifles in years. I am absolutley (sp) confident of each round every time......I guess you could say I get that warm tingly feeling every time I get a critter in the cross hairs.

I use milk jugs full of water for longer range practice also. They do leave no doubt when you hit them.

KC - I don't shoot that much. But I do try to shoot some all year long. I probably go through a box of rifle shells every couple of months on average. Its not a lot, but it helps me avoid rust. I actually go to a range probably two or three times per year.

Milk jugs are fun. So are 1 gallon paint cans filled w/ water, and turned upside down on their top... :)

Depends on the year. Some years I've shot over 1,000 centerfire rounds, and probably 3 times that in rimfire. Other years things are busy and I don't get out nearly as much. So far this has been one of them kind of springs. I'll still manage to pump 5 or 600 rounds thru the AR on P-dogs in the next month or 2. Don't really shoot much more than a box or 2 of shells through the hunting rifle. Usually just take it out a couple of times to be sure it's absolutely dialed. Lately I've been shooting 100+ rounds a year through my muzz. That's a bit of shooting! I shoot a bow pretty much from March/April until after the seasons are over, then take a few months off until the next spring...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back