Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Powder for 243

SD_Prairie_Goat

What are some good accurate powders for 243? Varget gets me about one inch groupings at best, but it seems like there must be a better option. Blc2 is about the same.

Shooting 80 grain bullet.

Thanks!

Getting on a node is more important for accuracy than actual powder selection, but anytime you’re in the realm of 4350 and 4831 it’s hard to justify not using them. They are just plain consistent.

Getting on a node is more important for accuracy than actual powder selection, but anytime you’re in the realm of 4350 and 4831 it’s hard to justify not using them. They are just plain consistent.

I ordered some N555 today to try in my 243 and 260ai. It supposedly splits the difference between those two burn rates. I hope to get some good data to share before it becomes unobtainabium.

I ordered some N555 today to try in my 243 and 260ai. It supposedly splits the difference between those two burn rates. I hope to get some good data to share before it becomes unobtainabium.
The VV powders are tough to get. Interested in results. I actually found a source for N570. mtmuley

IMR 4064 is my go to powder for all of my 243's.. I've never owned one that wouldn't group with it and any bullets from 75gr to 100gr.. BTW 1 moa groups isn't anything to sneeze at.. It really depends on the rifle and the nut behind the wheel sometimes..

What gun are you shooting this through??

I’m using 48.3 grains of Superformance behind an 80 grain TTSX out of my daughters cheapo Remington 783 printing less than an inch at 3363 FPS

The VV powders are tough to get. Interested in results. I actually found a source for N570. mtmuley
I think they make N570 out of ground unicorn horn, I’ve been trying to get some for a year for my 30 Nosler.

I've also had good luck with 4350 and 4831 in .243/6mm.

Just got back from the range and tried varget, RL19, and IMR4831 in my newly remodeled 6mm. Not impressed with varget at all shot like crap, RL 19 was OK and could probably mess with it some and get to an inch.

IMR4831 stole the show, choked on the last shot of a 5 shot string (the lowest in this group) still just under an inch. Probably mess around with charge a half grain up and down, play with seating depth maybe...or just call it good and hunt it as is.

IMG_20200727_210656857.jpg

Barrel doesnt even have 50 shots through it yet, will probably settle down a bit more.

IMR 4064 is my go to powder for all of my 243's.. I've never owned one that wouldn't group with it and any bullets from 75gr to 100gr.. BTW 1 moa groups isn't anything to sneeze at.. It really depends on the rifle and the nut behind the wheel sometimes..

What gun are you shooting this through??
girlfriend's Howa 1500

I know one moa isn't bad, but with the right selection I was able to get my 308 down to a little less than .5 moa, so logic tells me I can do better.

Also tinkering gives me an excuse to shoot more 😛

girlfriend's Howa 1500

I know one moa isn't bad, but with the right selection I was able to get my 308 down to a little less than .5 moa, so logic tells me I can do better.

Also tinkering gives me an excuse to shoot more 😛
That's funny, I reload for my girlfriend's Savage .243. Reloader 19 and 95gr SST's get me 3/4 inch out of her rifle.
She shrugs her shoulders and tells me they are "just bullets". She doesn't understand the hours spent slaving away over a hot reloading press. Things we do for our women...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back