Potential world record-breaking bear taken by bow and arrow in Chocowinity NC 780#

Do you know if those coastal bears hibernate? Doesn't seem like it would be warm enough.
They don't really. They do lay around a lot more when it's cool, but they don't "go down" for the winter

I live in the mountains. Our bears will den but they're never really out cold. If we get a really cold snap they'll lay up for a few weeks, but when it warms back up they will ramble around looking for food. The sows seem like they stay in most of the time.

I find bears a lot in the winter in their dens. My bird dog will get funny around them in rock piles and in stumpholes when we're hiking or looking around for the last grouse in NC.
You can peek in the hole and they'll be looking back out at you. They hardly ever bail out.

Do you know if those coastal bears hibernate? Doesn't seem like it would be warm enough.
In my limited experience, I guided for bears down on the coast for only 5yrs so I wasnt there for the coldest seasons, depends on the bear...some do some dont..they don't really hibernate more like an occasional nap. Most of coastal seasons go to till end of Dec.

Probably being fed by people or raiding dumpsters to get that big? Maybe he eats beef and cheddars from Arby's....LOL
You must have never been to that part of NC. Not many people or dumpsters, it's all agg land, wildlife refuges and bombing ranges...Open Ground Farms is 44,000 acres by its self. Look at Google earth photos around the town mentioned in the article...all agg land.

I live in Pa and every yr we see a few over 500 and 600 lbs Take my buddies son took one that weighed 714 when he was 22 yrs old
mild winters and lots of food

The P&Y black bear record is 23 5/16". The article doesn't say if they green scored it. It's a potential world record just because it's a fat bear? It's a great bear but call me skeptical.

Pretty sure all claims of record status are based on weight only.

I live in Pa and every yr we see a few over 500 and 600 lbs Take my buddies son took one that weighed 714 when he was 22 yrs old
mild winters and lots of food
At one time, there was a full mount of a PA bear at a rest area on I-80 below Wilkes-Barre. Its live weight was in the 700-800 pound range. It was pretty impressive.

Back